Sign in to follow this  
Got Bass?

Yum Buzzfrog

Does anyone have any problems with the yum buzzfrogs rolling over on the retrieve? Any solutions?

:'( :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :'(

YUM did a terrible job with the Buzz Frog IMO. All of them either have some plastic deformity or don't run right, you should try dropping the YUM's and getting some Stanley Ribbits. Ribbits are the best frogs out there, they have a killer action and they float so you can buzz them as slow as you want without worrying about it going down

http://www.***.com/descpageSOFTSTAN-SBR.html#

with ya there basspro48, almost every one in the bag is screwed up. i don't think that they are as good a frog as  other companies. the way you can make these frogs stop rolling over is if you by belly weighted hooks. i stopped using the yum and went to the stanley ribbit. its a zillion times better frog. ;)

I agree with basspro and Triton. I wasnt at all inpressed with the YUM buzzfrog. They roll over and dont get that great of a action.

I think this is becuase YUM tried to make a surface and shallow lure in one bait. The buzzfrog sinks to fast to run slow on the top, but doesnt really get enough leg action under the surface. Probaly the best way to fish this bait is with a weighted hook along the bottom. JMHO ;)

I have the same problem when using Mann's Hardnose Frogs and Zoom Horny toads. I tie a swivel about 14" above the frog and this helps a little.  Today i got to try out a Spro bronzeye and was very happy with the hookups i got and the awesome action of this bait.

I prefer the Cache Custom baits Thunder Frog. The frog puts out tons of vibration, it is very light compared to other topwater buzz type frogs, and has a better scent/ attractant than any other frogs on the market. It is also softer than the other frogs, which means more hook-ups with the thunder frog.

Haha, Ok im going to be the one and only guy who writes positive about the bait heh. Hey I have to give credit where credit is due. I have caught many bass this summer/fall with the YUM Buzzfrog. Yes they flip at times, but I really don't think that makes much of a difference. I don't believe the bass can tell what side the frog is on, all I think it sees is the legs paddling like a live frog and attacks it. I love the way this frog's feet paddle, looks so realistic IMO. So before you lose hope in this bait, just know they can catch alot of fish, and im proof of it. I know they are heavy and sink fast, but I believe this gives them a bigger and more rowdy appearance while buzzing on the top. (I Once went to my local lake at around dusk, and stayed for about 30mins, caught 6 bass, biggest was 3 1/2 lbs.) Now for NJ thats alot of bass for only 30mins, especially in the lakes I fish. So don't give up on the YUM frog, I know I won't  ;).

Haha, Ok im going to be the one and only guy who writes positive about the bait heh. Hey I have to give credit where credit is due. I have caught many bass this summer/fall with the YUM Buzzfrog. Yes they flip at times, but I really don't think that makes much of a difference. I don't believe the bass can tell what side the frog is on, all I think it sees is the legs paddling like a live frog and attacks it. I love the way this frog's feet paddle, looks so realistic IMO. So before you lose hope in this bait, just know they can catch alot of fish, and im proof of it. I know they are heavy and sink fast, but I believe this gives them a bigger and more rowdy appearance while buzzing on the top. (I Once went to my local lake at around dusk, and stayed for about 30mins, caught 6 bass, biggest was 3 1/2 lbs.) Now for NJ thats alot of bass for only 30mins, especially in the lakes I fish. So don't give up on the YUM frog, I know I won't  ;).

This is all JMHO, but......

1. Frogs dont paddle. I have watched tons of frogs swim away while i go frog hunting. They all make quick, short, jerky movments in the water. They pull their legs in, then push them out quickly, making them dart forward.

This type of action is much easier to do when useing a floating frog. Just rapidly jerk-stop-jerk-stop-jerk-stop. The YUM Buzzfrog probaly looks more like a baitfish than a frog when steadily retreiving, bumping along the bottom, or even running across the surface.

2. If your bait is turning around on its side, it causes mono to twist. If your reeling in your line and it is being twisted, your line will be spooled onto the reel and keep its twisted form. This cuases huge line tangles, knots, and make backlashing 50 times worse.

just my humble .02 ;)

Why don't you all just get  Zoom Horny Toads and have a good time I really like these baits. Just my .02.

Chow

I don't know maybe it doesn't look as realistic as I thought, but the fish hit it nicely so I can't argue with that. Also about line twisting causing knots etc, I don't believe I had a single tangle any of the days I went out fishing it. And I was using it like everyday during the fall. I had braided line though so maybe thats reason. Personally I wouldn't fish mono with topwater frogs, as your fishing around lillypads / over thick cover mono isn't going to be the best choice of line if you know what I mean.

Guest avid

I have yet to fish any toad bait that didn't turn over from time to time.  I don't use YUM baits because they stink as in smell bad.  But all of them will go belly up unless their is some trick I am unaware of.