MM35, The Miami River

Saturday 3/3/18

6:30-12:45

Full Moon all Night

Blue Bird Sky

Wind 15-20 North

Water temp 74*

Water heavy stain

Picked Rick up early in Weston and we ran out Alligator Alley to the Miami River.   Because there was a strong wind coming from the north the river is usually a good place to work.  letting the wind push you south makes for easy fishing.  We ran north all the way to the flood control station, which is as far as you can go.  We noticed right away that the place was full of gar and small bait fish.  Every cast we got a constant action from these little pain in the butt fish.  We caught some warmouth but no bass for two hours.  Around 8:00 we heard a large cat on one of the Islands calling for about twenty minutes.  This is the second time I've heard cats out in the glades.  Its pretty Cool!  Around 9:00 we started catching bass deep in the canal.  At 9:30 I foul hooked a big gator at one of the cuts.  For about ten minutes we dragged him around until he decided he had enough and broke the line.

We finished the day with 13 bass boated, a bunch of warmouth, a gar, a huge mudfish, a gator, and the coolest thing hearing that big cat in the morning sounds of the glades.  We used frogs, flukes, senko's, swimbaits, U Vibes, jig and craws, trick worms, hard jerkbaits, and Lizards.  We threw the kitchen sink to find some bass.  The ramps at MM35 at really poor design.  Very shallow when loading, and a drop off at the end of the ramp.  Be careful if you use these north ramps.  Beautiful day, tough fishing!:annoyed1:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the tough day but sounds like fun to be out there nonetheless.  I've had my share of tough days of on the alley dealing with those pesky junk fish.  Seems as though as soon as the bait hits the water they are all over it.  The bass don't even get a shot at it.  Thanks for the report as always. And very cool about the cats, you think Panthers, Bob cats? 

20 hours ago, Turf said:

Sorry to hear about the tough day but sounds like fun to be out there nonetheless.  I've had my share of tough days of on the alley dealing with those pesky junk fish.  Seems as though as soon as the bait hits the water they are all over it.  The bass don't even get a shot at it.  Thanks for the report as always. And very cool about the cats, you think Panthers, Bob cats? 

Years ago, with my son, it was two panthers about a mile apart we think talking love.   One was close calling to the other, and back and forth. This time, I think was a solo bobcat, just calling out.  Both were great experiences, and I'm thrilled I had someone with me both times to share the experience.  My son still reminds me of the talking big cats, and that was 20 years ago.

• Like 1

a47c7c281a9387a0ac2bff9529d1da80.jpg9f78c894474198c542958436b389cbaa.jpg4f65b08183fda11366a9bd7d0670423d.jpgafbe8416e860fd22b56b17e85cf2c24b.jpgffb0fc662c450122d94b654256311ca1.jpgddcf562cb82429e779f8f9a904c1c247.jpg5bd3aaf954a50ad29280841ce0d6c87d.jpg3388c04e626812ff676a8a71e1ca7093.jpeg0372c1e189f432a2aa542ace4420ec17.jpeg99178bd465d8536097db1c77fad8e7e9.jpegc6341c0ebcdeb60500bf002e7fd3f3c2.jpeg16f1062c4dbd7f324efb49c6fadebf53.jpegf5f387cfee7da2b50809700744d0e455.jpega2a05429a11f297d87d5802a8cf53911.jpeg87377f3fe16a02e2ece22f6e3937685d.jpeg56bf12ae8394fb734884574d2a6cda74.jpeg932eea7c44a987a10ac993451be89f95.jpg

Thanks for the invite Geo G! Hearing the big cat was pretty cool. I would never have known what that sound was without you telling me. lol

• Like 1

Rick thanks for posting the pics.  Glad you were there to hear that.  Its pretty rare.:clap:

• Like 1

Turf, I will probably be at Lox this weekend.  Will you be out there?

21 hours ago, geo g said:

Turf, I will probably be at Lox this weekend.  Will you be out there?

Yes sir but will only be able to make it out one of the two mornings.   Trying to debate which one will be better for wind/weather.  Will you be there both morning or only going to be fishing one as well? We make sure we get together briefly and at least chat face to face. 

1 hour ago, Turf said:

Yes sir but will only be able to make it out one of the two mornings.   Trying to debate which one will be better for wind/weather.  Will you be there both morning or only going to be fishing one as well? We make sure we get together briefly and at least chat face to face. 

I don't know what day yet.  It will be in the morning, another front coming Sunday night so it could be good.

19 hours ago, geo g said:

I don't know what day yet.  It will be in the morning, another front coming Sunday night so it could be good.

I will be out there tomorrow morning at Lox Road, Storm possible Sunday.

1 hour ago, geo g said:

I will be out there tomorrow morning at Lox Road, Storm possible Sunday.

Was going to say the exact same thing.  Planning on getting there around sunrise (6:45 ish).  Hope to see you there!  Blue Jackson Kayak, Blue Ford Expedition.  If I miss you, good luck!

On 3/9/2018 at 4:00 PM, Turf said:

Was going to say the exact same thing.  Planning on getting there around sunrise (6:45 ish).  Hope to see you there!  Blue Jackson Kayak, Blue Ford Expedition.  If I miss you, good luck!

As we pulled into ramp area you were paddling out and into the flat.  We finished with over twenty, the biggest was about 2.5 lbs.  How did you do?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geo g said:

As we pulled into ramp area you were paddling out and into the flat.  We finished with over twenty, the biggest was about 2.5 lbs.  How did you do?

Yeah figured that would be the case.  I stuck around for a bit but them my impatience got the best of me.  I'll pm you my cell phone number for next time.  

Fishing was a lot of fun.  Don't think the biggest went 2 lbs but caught 18 on the morning.  All on watermelon colored flukes and grass pig swimbaits.  beautiful day until that wind started ripping.