Jump to content
desmobob

BFS/UBF rod selection

Recommended Posts

I just picked up one of the Tsurinoya XF50 reels after seeing some interesting reviews.  Choosing a rod for it was a little more difficult.  I have a Kuying Teton rod on the way... this was pretty much the only BFS/UBF rod I could find any review information on.  Since ordering these kind of rods is pretty much "buy it sight unseen" with little or no review information, I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on a rod.

 

What rods have you BFS guys tried?  I have a Megabass Volkey UL that is excellent.  I have a feeling the Kuying Teton has a much slower action that I'd prefer, but I'll have to wait to find out.  Know of any sources of BFS rod reviews?  I've asked Youtubers BCSG and The Reel Test to consider doing some reviews or a comparison... nothing yet.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a Teton rod 2-3 weeks ago.  I don't think they have taken the money out yet.  It did say there was a several week wait before shipping (4-7 weeks I think).  I ordered the UL baitcast model to see how low a weight I could learn to cast. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

I ordered a Teton rod 2-3 weeks ago.  I don't think they have taken the money out yet.  It did say there was a several week wait before shipping (4-7 weeks I think).  I ordered the UL baitcast model to see how low a weight I could learn to cast. 

 

I ordered mine from the AliExpress site.  It was shipped today, after a three-day processing wait.  Not too bad...

I bought my Major Craft Volkey from one of the on-line JDM dealers a few years ago (Japan Lure Shop, IIRC).

 

Tight lines,

Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to check again to see if the money has been withdrawn.  If not, I need to get in touch with someone.  I ordered the rod from the same website.  If I remember correctly, there is no phone number listed.  I'd like to have it when the weather warms up enough to get out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I habe both rods.  The Teton is a trout rod and more of a traditional UL than the Volkey.  The Volkey is a BFS rod in that it is meant for bass fishing and has a much more rigid backbone with more lifting power at the cost of the ability to load deeply when casting UL baits.  I also have 2 other Kuying sticks, the Leadership L and Topcaster ML.  Both of those sticks are more like traditional BFS sticks than the Teton.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

I habe both rods.  The Teton is a trout rod and more of a traditional UL than the Volkey.  The Volkey is a BFS rod in that it is meant for bass fishing and has a much more rigid backbone with more lifting power at the cost of the ability to load deeply when casting UL baits.  I also have 2 other Kuying sticks, the Leadership L and Topcaster ML.  Both of those sticks are more like traditional BFS sticks than the Teton.  

 

 

Thanks for the information!  I haven't fished the Teton yet, but I get the feeling I'm going to be looking for a decent rod that falls in between the Teton and the Volkey... 

 

Tight lines,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the major craft volkey bfs ul and teton sul. My teton as stated above is a trout rod while the volkey is a bfs bass rod so there is quite a difference in power and taper. I bought the teton specifically to try my hand at some trout in local streams. It took a long time to get the rod from china, but I'm really impressed with the quality for a $60 rod. I'm looking forward to spring. I was inspired by the youtube channel "enjoy fishing." Check out that guys casting skills because it's truly amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, desmobob said:

 

Thanks for the information!  I haven't fished the Teton yet, but I get the feeling I'm going to be looking for a decent rod that falls in between the Teton and the Volkey... 

 

Tight lines,

Bob

If you ever get the chance to buy a Jackson Super Trickster STC-63UL new or used, buy it.  It is the UL stick with BFS like power that can still cast like a true UL rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

If you ever get the chance to buy a Jackson Super Trickster STC-63UL new or used, buy it.  It is the UL stick with BFS like power that can still cast like a true UL rod.

For $500 that better be some stick.  :(  Two left at Amazon.  Ebay has a used one for $279 plus $17.30 shipping.  Still too rich for my blood.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaitFinesse said:

If you ever get the chance to buy a Jackson Super Trickster STC-63UL new or used, buy it.  It is the UL stick with BFS like power that can still cast like a true UL rod.

Thanks.  Rare as hen's teeth, apparently, and very pricey.  There must be something out there!  I need to take a trip to the Asian countries and hit all the big tackle shops!  (But I'll need to hit the lottery first...)

 

So, I guess I have my Major Craft Volkey/Daiwa PX-R for BFS and the new Kuying Teton/Tsurinoya XF50 for ultralight baitcasting.  I'll have to experiment with other rods, possibly the Kuying rods mentioned, to find something that's sort of in between.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Phenix Recon2 L/F and like it a good bit. It's a slower fast, but still has enough juice to set the hook on the t-rigged plastics.   I have a Megabass Black Themis on the way that was either going to replace/complement the Phoenix, depending upon how differently they fish.  

 

 If you are serious about getting into BFS stuff, the best thing you can buy yourself is a small digital scale. Figuring out what the lures you would tend to throw actually weigh is incredibly helpful in figuring out what sort of rod you really need.   In my case, 1/8 ounce lower end of the BT isnt an issue as, other than very small crank baits and in-line spinners, nothing I would throw is going to weigh less than that. 

 

I have one of the Tetons as well, and I agree with what everyone has said about it being a much softer trout/panfish rod. I have caught a few bass on it, but I would never deliberately target them unless I was somewhere with no cover or somewhere or I could wade over and free up fish that had gotten tangled up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, desmobob said:

So, I guess I have my Major Craft Volkey/Daiwa PX-R for BFS and the new Kuying Teton/Tsurinoya XF50 for ultralight baitcasting.  I'll have to experiment with other rods, possibly the Kuying rods mentioned, to find something that's sort of in between.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

 

And I forgot to mention what is probably my best option: roll my own.  At some point, I'll talk to the folks at Mudhole about picking a blank that will fit my preference.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×