LAO162

Daiwa LT & TD Spinning Spool Sizes - Table Attached

While trying to figure out the my next model and size of spinning reel, I stumbled across this information on the Daiwa Australia website.  It was cut from a factsheet on the new Exist.  I thought it may be helpful to Daiwa fans who are looking to see how the new LT spools measure compared to the older "TD" spools.

LT Spool Sizing.jpg

At 2500 and larger, there seems to be a meaningful change in spool diameter.

From what I have seen they are also cut much deeper. The line capacity seems much larger on each model.

1 hour ago, PatrickKnight said:

From what I have seen they are also cut much deeper. The line capacity seems much larger on each model.

The larger line capacities tipped me off that the LT spools were different than my old Daiwa spool.  Because I actually prefer a shallower spool, I started flipping through the models.  It looks as though at least the 3000 size Tatula LT model is offered with a shallow spool.  Unfortunately, I don't see a Fuego LT with a shallow spool.  Maybe I'll play it safe and go with the BG.

11 hours ago, LAO162 said:

The larger line capacities tipped me off that the LT spools were different than my old Daiwa spool.  Because I actually prefer a shallower spool, I started flipping through the models.  It looks as though at least the 3000 size Tatula LT model is offered with a shallow spool.  Unfortunately, I don't see a Fuego LT with a shallow spool.  Maybe I'll play it safe and go with the BG.

I have been very happy with my BG 2500. Honestly that is the only reason I am even looking at Daiwa now. As a self admitted Shimano fanboy the BG has opened my eyes a bit.

1 hour ago, PatrickKnight said:

I have been very happy with my BG 2500. Honestly that is the only reason I am even looking at Daiwa now. As a self admitted Shimano fanboy the BG has opened my eyes a bit.

I suspect that the BG 2500 will feel like much like the old Daiwa reels I am used to using.  However, I was hoping for a larger Arbor with a little less weight.  I don't need all of the line capacity of a LT 4000, which otherwise seems to be the right size.

48 minutes ago, LAO162 said:

I suspect that the BG 2500 will feel like much like the old Daiwa reels I am used to using.  However, I was hoping for a larger Arbor with a little less weight.  I don't need all of the line capacity of a LT 4000, which otherwise seems to be the right size.

You could always put cheap mono backing on it to eat up space.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PatrickKnight said:

That's what I do to all my reels. Saves money and time when I have to re-spool which is usually 2-3 times a year. 

3 hours ago, PatrickKnight said:

I've been thinking about doing that, but I'd have to accept change to my habits:D

• Like 1