snake95

South Florida 2018 - Spawn or Postspawn yet?

Heading to southwest Florida - south of Ft. Meyers - in the first week of April, 2018.

I go there every year at this time, and typically catch what I think are postspawn largemouths.  Often look spawned out, but surprisingly aggressive.

Fishing mostly small ponds and canals, south and west of Lake Trafford and Ft. Meyers.

Any observations -- are they spawning now, or is the spawn over?

Unlike other areas of the country, without real temp changes, our bass will spawn at various times of the year, from November to April, and even twice a year.  I have not seen widespread bedding going on at any one particular time like some other years.  I think the bedding has been spread out over a long period of time this year.  Mother Nature has been all screwed up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@geo g thank you for that clear explanation.  I have been fishing that area for 3 years now, and each time I go, we see a few apparent spawners, a few spawned out females, some aggressive bucks, and some fish that could be anywhere in the spectrum.  Your explanation makes total sense to me.

I catch them on Pop-Rs, Skitter Walks, Trick worms, and Keitech Fat Impacts.  Didn't know why.

Thanks for responding and allowing the fog to clear.

1 hour ago, snake95 said:

@geo g thank you for that clear explanation.  I have been fishing that area for 3 years now, and each time I go, we see a few apparent spawners, a few spawned out females, some aggressive bucks, and some fish that could be anywhere in the spectrum.  Your explanation makes total sense to me.

I catch them on Pop-Rs, Skitter Walks, Trick worms, and Keitech Fat Impacts.  Didn't know why.

Thanks for responding and allowing the fog to clear.

Right now get some Zoom u-tails in watermelon red, and Junebug.  Sunny days W/R, low light and cloudy, or muddy, Junebug.  Fish slow along the bottom with a steady retreve, if that doesn't work, snap it off the bottom and let it flutter back down.  Its been good the last few weeks.  Have a great trip.

• Like 1