desmobob

Cleaning agent to get water scale off my motor

I really need to make a water deflector to fit over my transducer.  It throws water up on the side of the engine when I'm running on plane.  Anyway, the lake I fish is silty/muddy and when the water dries on the engine, it leaves a whitish film that is impossible to get off with Simple Green, Windex, etc.   I have some CLP which is excellent on scale and mineral deposits, but I don't think it's safe for the plastic cowl and decals on my engine.

Anyone know of a good safe product or method to remove this very stubborn haze?

Tight lines,

Bob

Plain old white vinegar will remove lime deposits. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And if you want a deflector, a cheap white plastic cutting board works great. Cut it to size with a jigsaw, and attach it to the top of the transducer mounting board ( if you have one installed).  I got one for $5 and there’s enough material there for a few in case one got broke for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, Scott F said:

Plain old white vinegar will remove lime deposits. 

It works.  It takes a whole lot of elbow grease, but it takes off the haze.  Thanks for the tip!

47 minutes ago, Way north bass guy said:

And if you want a deflector, a cheap white plastic cutting board works great. Cut it to size with a jigsaw, and attach it to the top of the transducer mounting board ( if you have one installed).  I got one for $5 and there’s enough material there for a few in case one got broke for whatever reason. 

Thanks.  I do need to get something mounted.

My transducer is mounted directly to the transom of my aluminum hull.  I was thinking of a piece of angled plastic, aluminum or stainless steel sheet that I could sandwich between the transducer mounting bracket and the hull, so I wouldn't have to drill any additional holes.

I've never noticed one on any boats at the launch.  Do many guys use them?  What are you other guys using?

Thanks again,

Bob

I've never been much for TV info-mercial type products, but my daughter talked me into trying "Instagone" for a cleaner. The vynal siding on the house had some green mold on it and I needed to clean the scum line on the boat. I am VERY impressed. Sprayed this stuff on, let it set for few minuets and washed it off. Presto! Scum/mold is gone.

• Thanks 1

There's this stuff called Awesome. I get it at the dollar general store. Removes pretty much everything and has never damaged decals or plastics for me. 

• Thanks 1