fishwizzard

Tatula SV for kayak trolling for Stripers?

Hi,

I’m looking for a pair of reels to use for trolling for striped bass out of my yak. They are going to go on a pair of Fenwick Smallmouth Elite MH/F rods.

Almost all of my other rods are Daiwas and I want to stick with that brand and the Tat SV seems like a good contender for this application.  I’ll be doing my fishing and brackish tidal rivers and from what I can tell the Tat is salt water safe.  It also holds enough line for my uses and it looks like I can get a pair of them for like $300 off of ebay. 

Am I missing something that would

make them not work as well as I think they will?

Adequate line capacity would be my concern with using the Tat SV as a trolling reel. Heavier duty, round conventional reels come to mind when I think of trolling. Targeting fish in deeper water may be tough when you’re limited by the line cap of an SV spool. I’d consider a 200 sized reel or maybe even a regular Tat CT for the slightly larger line cap. Plus, I feel like you wouldn’t be utilizing the SV technology by using the reel for trolling anyway. My 2 cents.

Kayak trolling around here is a shallow water (5-20’) and short line affair, most guys use 2500-3000 spinning reels loaded with 20-30lb braid.  I was thinking of going like 12lb YZH  so it’s a little easier to break off when I snag a crab pot or whatever.  

I guess I also had the idea that I would use the same combos for casting and jigging when I got sick of pedding back-and-forth, which was why I was looking at the SV reels.  

Ok, gotcha. Then I don’t see why the Tat SV couldn’t handle what a 2500-3000 can. And since you’d be using it to cast as well, then it would serve multiple purposes.

I think I am going to go for it once I find a pair of them for a good price.