ETX92

Recommend me a football jig rod

I would like to get a rod specifically to throw big jigs in deeper water with. This last trip I was throwing 3/4 oz jigs on a Dobyns Fury 735. While it worked ok I have noticed that I seem to lose a fair number of fish right at the boat from the hook ripping out of the fishes mouth. It seems like maybe the rod has too fast a tip and doesn’t have enough of a parabolic bend too it and since the braid doesn’t stretch the rod doesn’t have enough action to play the fish with a short amount of line out. Is this on the right track or is it just coincidence? Doing some reading I see a lot of people use MH rods, wouldn’t that be underpowered for a 3/4 oz jig? Once you add a trailer most of your baits are gonna exceed the 1 oz mark MH rods are rated for. Just looking for suggestions or maybe if there’s a rod better suited for what I’m doing.

IMO a Dobyns 735 is a great choice.  A Dobyns 5 power to me, feels like a slightly stout MH with plenty of tip action.

Maybe you were only skin hooking the fish that you were losing at the boat? 

I'd evaluate your technique as well, I think the rod is about where it should be.

I will definitely look at my technique, I’m fairly new to this type fishing so I’m sure I can improve on it. 

I think you've got a solid setup for the application. Maybe try straight fluoro, or a different football jig? Perhaps something with a wider gap or lighter wire hook? I dunno, but that could be the ticket

I was using Santone jigs, I’m going to call Sieberts in a little bit and look at getting some different jigs. Sounds like I have the right rod it’s some other things that need adjustment.