Sonny Smith

Looking for advice on river fishing

I have read and am a part of several forums. And 99% of the topics and info on them are about lakes. Mainly fish the tensaw river southern part of the Alabama river and the  tombigbee River. And this time of the year gets really tough for me. I can't seem to figure the bass out

Everything such as the water temp and water clarity points to them being deep and close to cover in late morning mid day. And up shallower in the mornings. But I still can't seem to get consistent bites  .Does a thermalcline occur on large rivers with constant current and tides. 

Edited by Sonny Smith
No reply add info

Welcome, Sonny. Glad to have you with us on the Forum.

Lots of posts about rivers so use the search feature and see what you can find.

Now, dumb question: is the river a tidal river?

If so, you fish a tidal river different than an inland current river.

Let us know and we can give you better advice.

Also, as far as the thermocline goes, if a tidal river it makes little difference. If it is an inland current river it can make a big difference.

Looking forward to your input on the type river you are fishing.

The tensaw river I was referring to is a tidal river. The south end of the alabama really isnt effected by tide.  Thanks for the input on the search feture. Did not know about it. 

7 hours ago, Sonny Smith said:

The tensaw river I was referring to is a tidal river. The south end of the alabama really isnt effected by tide.  Thanks for the input on the search feture. Did not know about it. 

You want a falling tide.

Check out this link and note the tides for the Tensaw River.

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/alabamasites.html

If your river is not listed you need to keep trying to locate the tide chart for it.

You want to fish the last two hours of an outgoing tide and the first hour of an incoming tide. In fact, you always want an outgoing tide and you fish it all day long, moving up river following the falling water.

Try to find a copy of Woo Daves' DVD, Fishing Tidal Rivers (or Tidal Rivers). It is excellent and you will learn a lot about tidal rivers and how to fish them.

Good luck and we look forward to many more of  your posts.

Thanks Sam for the advice. And I'll definitely try and find that DVD. I'll give an update soon. Thanks again