simek3ru

Lake Gaston Vacation

I am heading down to Lake Gaston in a few weeks for a weeks vacation and I am bringing my boat to fish.  I have never been there, so have no clue what to expect.  I am showing the map of where the house is in relation to the rest of the lake.  Any advise on spots, lures, techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.44bf93bb67eb97d188f792922a3ae2f9.png

I was closer to the pin a few years ago. Really nice lake.

Am no expert by any means, but there were a number of

folks who chimed in when I asked.

You should get some hits with a search of the forums.

Get a GMCO map of Lake Gaston.

Fantastic fishery.

Just go from creek to creek and have some fun.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sam said:

Get a GMCO map of Lake Gaston.

Fantastic fishery.

Just go from creek to creek and have some fun.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Got a map :)  

I did some more research and it looks like primary patterns are docks and grass mats.  Looking forward to hitting the creeks and have heard very positive reviews of the lake.  I'll update when I get back end of July.

• Like 1

Dumb question I'm sure, but being the first time boat owner, doesn't hurt to ask what others have done.

This will be the first time I am leaving the boat out docked over night.  I always keep it trailered and stored when not in use.  I am only really concerned if there is lots of rain overnight and although I will attempt to cover it, should I keep my bilge on auto while it's docked?   On a normal day of fishing, my boat doesn't take on any water, so I never (thankfully) use my bilge.

Thoughts?

Got back from Lake Gaston.  Weather report heading into the week was pretty terrible but turned out to be a nice week with only a few showers here and there.  Not sure if those scattered storms effected fishing but I didn't do that hot.  I only fished in 3 main creeks and some smaller ones.

I could only get out and do some "real" fishing 3 times during the week and the biggest I landed was a 2 lber.  Numbers were pretty low too.  I caught most on creek points and near grass.  Since I only fished in the morning, I didn't do any dock flipping.  I marked a lot on the steep drop offs in the 10 to 18 foot range but couldn't get any of them to bite.

Although the fishing for me wasn't great, the lake was beautiful and would definitely go back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, simek3ru said:

Got back from Lake Gaston.  Weather report heading into the week was pretty terrible but turned out to be a nice week with only a few showers here and there.  Not sure if those scattered storms effected fishing but I didn't do that hot.  I only fished in 3 main creeks and some smaller ones.

I could only get out and do some "real" fishing 3 times during the week and the biggest I landed was a 2 lber.  Numbers were pretty low too.  I caught most on creek points and near grass.  Since I only fished in the morning, I didn't do any dock flipping.  I marked a lot on the steep drop offs in the 10 to 18 foot range but couldn't get any of them to bite.

Although the fishing for me wasn't great, the lake was beautiful and would definitely go back.

100% agree. We loved our vacation there a couple years back.

We plan on returning in the coming years.

Did OK, but I really needed more time since I fish from a yak.