PaFrogThrower9

Diawa Tatula 150HS for Frog Rod. Yay? Nay?

Any thoughts on this reel for frogging. Got a new frog rod and I'm thinking about getting one. Held one but never used one.

8 hours ago, PaFrogThrower9 said:

Any thoughts on this reel for frogging. Got a new frog rod and I'm thinking about getting one. Held one but never used one.

I wouldn't.  I would go with a Tatula CT.  The 150 has a wider frame than the CT which can cause the mag dial to rub on your hand when palming depending on how you palm your reels.   The reel is also geary feeling compared to regular Tatulas but this may be the result of hardened gears.  The spool is going to be a little heavier than the CT but not enough to affect performance with frogs though.  Just something to consider if you move the reel to a lighter powered rod in the future.

To me it sounds like it is going to be a bigger, heavier and geary Tatula that will offer no performance advantage over a CT.  If you want the black matte finish then I would suggest waiting for the new 2018 Tatula 100 to be released but if you like the way it palms and you don't want to wait for the new Tatula then it will be fine.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, BaitFinesse said:

I wouldn't.  I would go with a Tatula CT.  The 150 has a wider frame than the CT which can cause the mag dial to rub on your hand when palming depending on how you palm your reels.   The reel is also geary feeling compared to regular Tatulas but this may be the result of hardened gears.  The spool is going to be a little heavier than the CT but not enough to affect performance with frogs though.  Just something to consider if you move the reel to a lighter powered rod in the future.

To me it sounds like it is going to be a bigger, heavier and geary Tatula that will offer no performance advantage over a CT.  If you want the black matte finish then I would suggest waiting for the new 2018 Tatula 100 to be released but if you like the way it palms and you don't want to wait for the new Tatula then it will be fine.

It’s probably more geary because the bearings in on CT Type R and SVs Are better than than the new lines of tatulas. 

42 minutes ago, LxVE Bassin said:

It’s probably more geary because the bearings in on CT Type R and SVs Are better than than the new lines of tatulas. 

Unless the bearings are bad you shouldn't feel any geary sensation from quality bearings.  The cut of the gear sets and material are contributing factors to gear feel in reels.

49 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

Unless the bearings are bad you shouldn't feel any geary sensation from quality bearings.  The cut of the gear sets and material are contributing factors to gear feel in reels.

Well I stand corrected 

Most important : your budget ? 

I was trying to keep it reasonable. Ended up getting a Tatula CT off EBay for $73 new. Just got it yesterday. Feels and looks good. Hopefully I'll get to use it this weekend