Dom Hendricks

Dropshot newbie

Down at the family farm and the grass has taken over the pond. Where it is thick and matted I have been having luck punching Texas rigged worms, craws, and creature baits and top water frogs. Where the grass is not thick and matted there is about 1 to 2 feet of grass growing on the bottom that the fish seem to be holding pretty tight too. Depths range from 6 to 15 feet. I’m thinking about trying a dropshot rig to put the bait right in front of them.  I have tried chatterbaits, spinner baits, crank baits, and the t rigged plastics above. Occasionally I will catch one on the plastics but nothing else has even gotten a bite. Any tips for a dropshot newbie?  I’m worried that I’m going to be picking grass off my line all evening. 

Two things. First, and it may take some trial and error, but tie the drop shot so it's just long enough to suspend the bait right above the grass. Like RIGHT above. If you can find a spot without grass, you can shorten your presentation and put it right at the grass edge.

Something else I do in vegetation is I slide the worm all the way up the hook and turn the point back into the worm, kinda sorta like I'm Texas rigging it. Helps keep the heavy stuff off the rig. 

As always keep just enough tension on the line to keep the bait up out off the bottom and dont over work it. Just holding it there itll do all kinds of work on it's own. 

I'm no drop shot pro, but those should catch some fish!

I caught 4 decent ones on the dropshot. I had the ball weights and think I need to go to the tall cylinder ones. A couple of times I pulled up softball size clumps of grass and slime. I started with a dream shotnose hooked and changed to a roboworm rigged like you mentioned on a roboworm hook. Ran out of roboworm and put on a big TRD. Could feel it getting hit, but not many hook ups. Probably need a bigger hook or might try it wacky. It was definitely a learning experience and a good way to get the bait down to the fish when the bottom is grassy and slimy.  I definitely need to look for a faster spinning reel or a heavier weight. Missed a few that nailed it swimming right toward the boat and couldn’t catch up. Will definitely try it again. 

7 minutes ago, Dom Hendricks said:

I caught 4 decent ones on the dropshot. I had the ball weights and think I need to go to the tall cylinder ones. A couple of times I pulled up softball size clumps of grass and slime. I started with a dream shotnose hooked and changed to a roboworm rigged like you mentioned on a roboworm hook. Ran out of roboworm and put on a big TRD. Could feel it getting hit, but not many hook ups. Probably need a bigger hook or might try it wacky. It was definitely a learning experience and a good way to get the bait down to the fish when the bottom is grassy and slimy.  I definitely need to look for a faster spinning reel or a heavier weight. Missed a few that nailed it swimming right toward the boat and couldn’t catch up. Will definitely try it again. 

I found a bulk pack of home molded 1/4oz lead pencil weights on ebay, 1/4 seems to be a good weight. I use the 1/0 spin shot for my hooks... I found a bulk pack of those on Ebay too. My favorite so far.