aatwofour

Small to Medium Sized Swimbaits Weedless

What setups does everybody use for throwing 6-8 inch hollow belly type swimbaits (like a 7 inch Basstrix) weedless? I’m talking about rigging them up with either an Owner Weighted Beast Hook or the Trokar Magnum Weighted Swimbait Hook (probably around the 6/0-8/0 sizes). I sort of have an idea of what I would throw them on (I was thinking like 7’4-7’6 heavy rod), but would like to know others’ setup for this

I think you are spot on with a lengthy rod for making better casts, covering more water.

I'm not certain what a 7" Basstrix weighs, this added to a large weighted hook, but if it "dials in" for a MH rod, say around the mid-point in lure weight range, a MH might accentuate the casting aspect. But, if you are letting the swimbait work deeper in the water column, even dusting up the bottom of a lake, you might prefer a heavy rating for a more forceful hook set.

We were fishing near a bridge on a lake in east Texas, Naconiche, and the angler I was with is a large swimbait aficionado. He used a heavy rated rod, often let a large swimbait work very deep with good results.

Brad 

• Like 1

You are talking about a 2-ish oz bait there.  I am using a 7’ 11” Okuma Guide Select rod in Heavy action and would definitely buy it again- could also go the XH rod.  The reel is a Daiwa Tatula 200 with 65 lb PowerPro to leader.  The reel was so nice, I bought another.  The combo is excellently balanced and I am able to fish it all day.

• Like 1