pauldconyers

Who has knowledge/experience with the Orra Winch line of reels?

Been looking for deep crank reel option for under 75 bucks. Looking for something like a 5.4:1 I’d say. Going on a 7’6” crank rod and will be throwing 5XD, 6XD and such. I think I MAY have settled on an Orra Winch but there are just a lot of models in the Orra Winch family and since they are no longer being activately being sold by Abu Garcia there is not a shred of info about them on their website. I have read every post on this forum that talks about them and while I read comments about them I never found anything comparing models to each other.

I've done a lot of research online and I see these 3 versions of the “older” Winch models:

Orra Winch

Orra Winch 2

Orra Max Winch

There are even some models for salt water and some newer ones that are out of my price range. I’ve read some about certain models seemed to really outperform they siblings but it is hard to figure out which is the “best” model. I guess I am looking for someone with some knowledge or experience with these reels to kind of sort them out and get some reviews or pointers on which I should go with.

I have owned a couple of Revo Winch for several years, both have been fantastic reels, one is what I would call a Gen 2 Winch and other a Gen 3.    Either makes light work of a 10XD.

• Like 1

The Max winch Is probably a graphite reel, think I seen them in Wally world. Orra winch #2 is what you want(gen1 received mixed reviews). I have the Orra saltwater reel it is basically a winch#2 with 7.3 to 1 gear ratio. Great caster.

Those YouTube guys Matt and Tim Allen swear by the Orra over the Revo in the winch line. I’d look up some of their vids Tactical Bassin. You could prob find a used Orra winch around $50-$60 

To dam0007, yeah I saw that video and am big fan of their stuff. From that video they mentioned this reel but with so many different versions of it I was hard to tell which they were recommending and which was the higher priced one to stay away from. I even emailed them asking for clarification but never heard anything back.

To zell_pop1, having not heard much back on this I bit the bullet and bought one. When Matt and Tim mentioned you wanted to get the "older one" I did not know if that meant the original Orra Winch or the more prevalent Winch 2. I bought the second one and on the underside it says ORRA2WINCH so it sounds like I got the one I was looking for.