redmeansdistortion

The Custom/modified Reel thread

I'm pretty new here, but having spent a lot of time in my short time here I've noticed a few reel tuners and tweakers posting up some great stuff that stands out from the rest.  I'd like to have a thread dedicated to custom or modified reels.  Some of us do it for the sake of tinkering and some of us do it to provide performance that the factory didn't.  Some of us also like to customize to fit a particular fishing style.  I would also like to discus the various lubricants, tools, and cleaning materials used to get the job done.  If you fit any of the above, this thread is for you.  It doesn't matter if you did the work yourself or you had somebody else do it.  Post up those reels :)

This is my pike and musky reel, used for big jerkbaits, Spooks, swimbaits, spoons, and bucktails.  It started life as a 5600AB, my first ever baitcaster that was given to me as a high school graduation gift 20 years ago.  I built it to be a tough-as-nails no nonsense brute, modeled after the EU-only 5600 Svartzonker, but a little more brutish and much less cash outlay.

Inside, we have spool bushings, Carbontex and stainless drag washers, stainless steel 6.3:1 gears from PMR, 2-pin brake with light weight blue brake blocks, and an Abu Garcia Power Handle.  There is also an anti-reverse dog to backup the instant anti-reverse bearing.  Redundancy can be a good thing.  It throws pretty far even though it has no bearings.  Even a 5/8oz Swim Shad has no trouble getting way out there.  I chose bushings because they don't die as easy, and over time they wear in pretty good.  Even though there are no bearings, it's still smooth as a baby's behind.  One of my most favorite reels I've done.

DSC_0196.JPG

8 minutes ago, redmeansdistortion said:

This is my pike and musky reel, used for big jerkbaits, Spooks, swimbaits, spoons, and bucktails.  It started life as a 5600AB, my first ever baitcaster that was given to me as a high school graduation gift 20 years ago.  I built it to be a tough-as-nails no nonsense brute, modeled after the EU-only 5600 Svartzonker, but a little more brutish and much less cash outlay.

Inside, we have spool bushings, Carbontex and stainless drag washers, stainless steel 6.3:1 gears from PMR, 2-pin brake with light weight blue brake blocks, and an Abu Garcia Power Handle.  There is also an anti-reverse dog to backup the instant anti-reverse bearing.  Redundancy can be a good thing.  It throws pretty far even though it has no bearings.  Even a 5/8oz Swim Shad has no trouble getting way out there.  I chose bushings because they don't die, and over time they wear in pretty good.  Even though there are no bearings, it's still smooth as a baby's behind.  One of my most favorite reels I've done.

DSC_0196.JPG

I like what you did with that reel.  I like how you did a theme with the build.  I really want to get one myself to build.  I was thinking of a smaller finesse sized reel with a vintage appearance but modern performance.

Just now, BaitFinesse said:

I like what you did with that reel.  I like how you did a theme with the build.  I really want to get one myself to build.  I was thinking of a smaller finesse sized reel with a vintage appearance but modern performance.

Look for a 1500/2500/3500C and use that as your platform.  Then you can get the finesse spool, light weight line guide, magnetic brake, bearing level wind, and double bearing cog wheel from one of the Japanese shops.  You can get the Carbontex drag washers right from SmoothDrag in FL.  Would be a heck of a reel.  If you don't mind going a little bigger, you can do a 4000 size for a little cheaper.