Mike Boitnott

Chickahominy River Mid March?

Anyone have any advice on fishing the Chickahominy River in Mid March?  This river is awesome in the summer however wondering what to expect this early.

Thanks for any help!

Chickahominy River small.jpg

Mike, good question.

I don't fish the Chick in January, February, March, April and may or may not fish it in May. Depends on the water temperature, tides, and if the wind is blowing from any direction other than the east.

Right now my friends who do fish the Chick fish the creeks with lipless crankbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Chatterbaits, jigs and plastics. They hit feeder creek mouths and any wood they can find in the water. They look for water a few degrees warmer than the main river.

One guy who fishes the Chick this time of year always says he catches the 10 pound ladies all the time. But he says that every year and no pictures to date.

Check the tide charts for the outgoing tide and give it a shot. Remember, we all head to the dam for starters except for me. I like the Shipyard, Yarmouth, Gordon creeks and Dick's New Creek before heading up river to the dam.

Take a nonboater with you and be safe. Let us know how you do.

• Like 1