Largies4Life

Upgrading my Finesse Spinning Gear

I currently have a 6'8" Gander ML/F rod with a Shimano Sienna 2500. I am looking to get another setup to help cover all of the finesse applications if possible. I am looking to throw shaky heads, ned rigs, drop shots, weightless senkos, etc. on these rods and am currently very confused on what type of gear I need to cover these. Would a Medium power rod be a good rod to partner up with the one mentioned above? I would like to stay under $500 for the combo in total. I am looking at a Shimano Stradic or the Daiwa Ballistic LT for the reel, but am unsure as to what to look for in a rod given my situation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :) 

I don't know much about that Gander rod but based on specs, it seems like you can use it for drop shots & ned rigs.

For the other techniques, you can get something that's 7' M/F. Check out:

Megabass Orochi XX Spinning (Shakeyhead) 7' rod - $299

Daiwa BG or Fuego LT  - $99-119

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ResoKP said:

I don't know much about that Gander rod but based on specs, it seems like you can use it for drop shots & ned rigs.

For the other techniques, you can get something that's 7' M/F. Check out:

Megabass Orochi XX Spinning (Shakeyhead) 7' rod - $299

Daiwa BG or Fuego LT  - $99-119

I use a St Croix Avid X 6'9" ML/XF with a Daiwa BG. You can't go wrong with the BG as long as you don't mind the extra couple of ounces.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boomstick said:

I use a St Croix Avid X 6'9" ML/XF with a Daiwa BG. You can't go wrong with the BG as long as you don't mind the extra couple of ounces.

I have the same St Croix Avid X 6'9" ML/XF and use it as a dedicated dropshot/ned rig rod. Fantastic rod.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with the Stradic cI4+ reel. I've got one paired with a Dobyns Sierra 702s for my Ned rig setup.

You can get a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 from American Legacy eBay store for $136shipped right now. Don’t know the specs on or any experience with that Gander Mtn rod, but assuming if it’s ML F it’s got your dropshot really light stuff covered. Now get a M/F spinning for things like weightless senkos, shakeyheads, wacky rigs, etc. 

Usual suspects are St Croix Avid, Avid X or LTB in your price range. I’d also suggest looking at a Kistler Helium 3, or wait and see what the new Megabass Levante lineup looks like. And the new Daiwa Tatula rods look good, and read many positive things about the Daiwa Tatula Elite spinning rod options as well. 

Thank you all for the informative responses! I don't have many specs on the Gander rod as it is around 10-15 years, but it still works just fine so I'd like to keep it around while it lasts. 

So if I went with a 7' M/F, that would be best suit for shakey heads, wacky rig senko, light t-rigged plastics? Any other finesse options that would work on my lighter setup vs. the heavier setup?

Daiwa Tatula LT 2000 reel paired with a Daiwa Tatula Elite 7’ med fast Cody Meyer rod;  also if you want to pay a little more the St Croix Avid X 6’9” Med Light Extra Fast is a great finesse rod