Big_Easy_BBQ

Megabass or St Croix Legend X???

I’m in the market for a new rod to pair with my new Curado DC(which by the way is just plain ridiculous). I can’t decide between the Megabass Daemos or FMJ or spend a few extra $$ for the St Croix legend x. The rod will be used for multiple applications such as throwing frogs, senkos (rigged all sorts of styles), t-rigs, jerk baits, swim jigs, chatter baits, spinner baits, etc..

This will be my most expensive setup I’ve ever bought and would really like some input from guys that have these rods. Thanks in advance and can’t wait to read some comments. 

Daemos is going to fit your list better than FMJ. For frogs, you'd probably want to get a separate, cheaper combo with heavier power and straight braid

I have an FMJ and while a 5” senko will load the tip, it’s not ideal.  A 6” one works much better.  I also would

not even try a jerkbait on it, it’s far too long and heavy for my liking.  I have fished a frog on it and while it would not be my first choice, it has the power for them in reasonable cover and the rod’s taper really helps keep them pinned. 

All your other uses are right in it’s wheelhouse. 

• Like 1

What about throwing flukes weightless? I do throw flukes a lot. More than chatterbaits and spinner baits. I’d say frogs, senkos, flukes, t-rigs, creature baits and swim jigs are what I throw the most.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:35 AM, Big_Easy_BBQ said:

What about throwing flukes weightless? I do throw flukes a lot. More than chatterbaits and spinner baits. I’d say frogs, senkos, flukes, t-rigs, creature baits and swim jigs are what I throw the most.

Depends on the fluke.  I don’t think a Zoom Super wouls load the FMJ’s tip very well but a heaver fluke might work ok.  I think of the FMJ as a jig rod that has a taper that allows it to work well with single hook moving baits too.

Maybe read up on the Loomis mbr844 GLX?  It’s still a powerful rod but it’s tip is softer then the FMJ’s and I Like it a lot better for weightless plastics, although I’ve never tried to throw anything as light as a zoom super on mine.   It’s a great rod for swimjigs and t-rigs though.