Hi all, got a problem with a 40 up yamaha 2 stroke. Got it started and can't get to pick up water on muffs. Line is clear frompeehole to motor - put new impeller in spring of 2018- worked when I parked it

Last fall. Anybody got thoughts on why no water? 

I had mud dauber wasps build a nest inside the intake on my 25hp Yamaha. You couldn’t see it from the outside but when I backflushed it came out the lower unit in big muddy chunks.

I pulled lower and pump impeller is in good shape, flexible and rubbery-not hard or dried out- I guess maybe thermostat possible? Block paint looks new and therm gasket has same paint and looks like cover has never been removed before, paint seems to not be separated at seam. Before I open it up should I try boat in water at ramp and see what I get?

Does it have a flush fitting? My Yamaha had a thingie on the power head that could be screwed onto a garden hose to flush the head. That’s what I used to blow out the mud pack.

Since you’ve pulled the lower you might consider sticking the hose nozzle up into the tube and give it a good blast. If it’s water soluble that might clear it. Of course if it’s not you run the risk of jamming it in even harder. That’s why I would backflush it if the motor is set up for it.

I am not sure if it is set up flush. What year and size motor did you have Elkins?  I've not seen a hose hookup but then never actually looked for one. Will see tomorrow. Thanks😀

Um, I think I said mine is 2 stroke and I dont know if that is setup the same on it. I didn't realize you were talking bout 4 stroke so hafta see if it makes a difference. Still appreciate any and all help. Thanks,burr

Yeehaw!! Problem solved.  The muffs weren't sealing tight enough so the pump didn't get a good enough water level or pressure or? Anyway squeezed wire for muffs in vise then tried again- wee-weed right off the start and all is looking good now. To the water tues and hopefully some greenie meanies, lol. Thanks for all help