the reel ess

Spawn is Almost In Full Swing Here

I texted my buddy and asked him what the water temp has been lately. He said from 64-68 degrees surface temp. We have a couple nice days with temps in the low 80s and full sun so I knew the temp was rising. There was a front coming with three days of moderate to heavy rain to follow so last night was my window of opportunity. In the afternoon, it got mostly cloudy, which I like, but pretty windy. I launched the kayak just as a nice cloud rolled over. I made a couple casts with a Pop R to areas where I could see some beds. About halfway back to the boat on the second cast BOOM! an explosion as this 6 pounder annihilated my Pop R. I've caught a bunch of 6 pound bass on this lake, and this one was exactly 6.0, but the topwater strike was such a jolt my hands were shaking. After that, it was pretty much a struggle to hold the kayak in the wind. I managed one dink on the Plopper and lost a dink on the jig. But it only takes one to make the trip worthwhile. I also saw a big female either making a bed or laying eggs in one. I couldn't see a male, but it was in some lilies and she was disturbing the water clarity. She was head-down and tail-up.

6.0.jpg

• Like 5

Oh, the best part, I caught it on an ancient el cheapo 6'0" Mitchell "100% graphite" rod that an old roommate left with me when he moved out. I'm certain it's no better than a $15 rod from the 80's. I was really taking it easy with her because she was having her way with that combo.

Awesome, I got out today and caught a few in the 2lb range. I did find some that were fanning pretty good. It is definitely getting close.

• Like 1

The spawn is on in some of the lagoons I fish here in SC. I was bank fishing today at the end of a point casting back towards shore with a buzzbait and landed a nice 5.5 pounder. I released her then worked my way down the bank towards where I caught her and sure enough there she was with her man doing the bass nasty. I felt bad that she "got out of bed" to feast on my buzzbait, but at least she went right back it it :)

I fished for 3 hours today in 4 or 5 different lagoons and that was the only thing I caught. After the on and off rain this week most of the lagoons are stained and I can't see any beds, but after seeing those two go at it my guess is the spawn is picking up steam in most of the lagoons right now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Koz said:

The spawn is on in some of the lagoons I fish here in SC. I was bank fishing today at the end of a point casting back towards shore with a buzzbait and landed a nice 5.5 pounder. I released her then worked my way down the bank towards where I caught her and sure enough there she was with her man doing the bass nasty. I felt bad that she "got out of bed" to feast on my buzzbait, but at least she went right back it it :)

I fished for 3 hours today in 4 or 5 different lagoons and that was the only thing I caught. After the on and off rain this week most of the lagoons are stained and I can't see any beds, but after seeing those two go at it my guess is the spawn is picking up steam in most of the lagoons right now.

I went back today and saw a lot of big females cruising. But they had no intentions of eating. I missed one on the Pop R. They just weren't chasing anything. I caught several dinks on the jig and frog. I even caught a warmouth on the frog. I decided to return to the area I caught the 6 pounder and give it another try. I spotted some beds with fish on them. The big ones disappeared when I got close enough to cast. But I saw a decent one that refused to leave the bed even when I was close. I pitched the jig in the bed about 30 times before the fish picked it up by the trailer and moved it. A few pitches later it bit and I set the hook, landed it and returned it in less than 10 seconds. I left then on a good note because it started to rain.

4 hours ago, the reel ess said:

I pitched the jig in the bed about 30 times before the fish picked it up by the trailer and moved it. A few pitches later it bit and I set the hook, landed it and returned it in less than 10 seconds.

I've had bedded bass move jigs and even had one carry off a 110 Whopper Plopper (impressive that the trebles did snag him). But for some reason most will just crush a buzzbait.

Now that the spawn seems to be underway I'm debating whether or not to fish tomorrow. The pre-spawn here was OK, but not great. That was probably due to the up and down temperatures we had in March and the first part of April.

• Like 1