ChrisD46

Ned Rig With 1/24th Oz. Round Ball Jig Head Option

For interested Ned Rig users - I've been experimenting with a either half a Zinkerz or a Finesse TRD secured with 1 drop of super glue gel using 1/24th oz. round ball jig with a 'Lil Nasty #4 or #2 hook size , #6 lb. FC leader (6') #8 lb. PP Braid mainline , 7 ML spinning rod and 2500 series Daiwa .

*The result is a little slower glide than using the same set up with a 1/16th ~ 1/15th oz. jig head and with slightly less feel while fishing it at or near the bottom .

I find 1/32nd oz. jig heads to be too light with a half a Zinkerz and not quite heavy enough to keep a Finesse TRD down well . I will also note that while using the 1/24th oz. jig head I have not got hung up in any rocks with a Ned rig  (which has happened to me using a 1/16th oz. jig head ) .

With the above said , my Ned rig jig head sizes are now : 1/24th oz. , 1/16th ~ 1/15th oz. ,  3/32nd oz. and occasionally a 1/10th oz. ~ 1/8th oz. under special circumstances which may / may not include a Big TRD ... At any rate - just another Ned rig  jig head weight option to consider between that 1/32nd oz. (which I consider border line too light) and 1/16th oz. jig head sizes to dial in that sought after,  alluring , TRD / half Zinkerz fall rate .

P.S. I'm happy for those who have used and prefer to continue using a 1/6th oz. ~ 1/5th oz. Ned rig jig head - I'm just operating in a different Ned rig space is all ...

Never even heard of that size. Thanks for the tip!  Looking at eBay, it looks like you can get 25 or 50 pks for $10 or so. Excellent deal 

I believe I got a 50 or 100 pack (I forget) but do know it had the #2 or #4 size  'Lil Nasty Eagle Claw Hook (either will work for a TRD) . A drop of super glue gel after rigging straight and you are  set . I even powder coat mine or use finger nail polish to add a little color or contrast . Also , I don't know if it's the weight or that the TRD is slightly larger than the 1/24th ball head jig - but I never get hung up in the rocks , rip rap , etc. anymore . Lastly , the 'Lil Nasty hook is a quality hook for the Ned rig - just reel set and ease the rod back .