PeterFry

Visiting Woodstock Vermont

Hello All.

I will be visiting Woodstock Vermont in mid May for some fishing and wondered if anyone has some suggestions of where I can bank fish for LMB.

I have a trout guide booked for a couple of sessions and he has suggested Deweys Pond & Hartland.

Not looking for your secret spots just a few pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

If you don't mind driving roughly a hour to the west, there are two great lakes with largies and smallies (Vermont has many great smallies -- don't forget about the smallies!).

First there is Lake Bomoseen, which at one point was known for having large largies. Currently, the LMB population is not as large as it used to be as the ice fisherman have taken so many out of there that they aren't producing the large offspring at the same rate anymore. They're still known to have good smallies though. Also there are two docks around the state park, I believe they are both owned by the state park but could be wrong.

Just south of Lake Bomoseen there is Lake St. Catherine which is one of my favorite lakes to fish. If you don't have a boat, you can go to the state park and there is a v shaped peninsula along the top right by a chokepoint and you can fish off both sides of it. If you throw a moving bait there in the morning or evening, you're pretty much guaranteed a fish. You can also rent kayaks, rowboats and canoes at the state park and up the eastern side of the lake north of the state park, there's some of the best cover of the lake and the deeper spots are to the south should you try to target a large one. There's plenty of docks on the eastern and western sides as well.

To the west and north, there is Lake Dunmore. It's the clearest water I've ever seen, and while it's a difficult lake to catch bass on, I would say it's also probably the best lake to catch a state record sized LMB (currently holds it). There's also many trails around the state park, one to silver lake where you can fish for trout. To the west and south is Emerald Lake. I caught a pretty decent smallie there a couple years back.

You could try Lake Pinneo in Queeche VT or the CT river as well. Lake Pinneo looks like a very nice lake, and people have pictures of decent bass on fishbrain as well, although I haven't fished it yet.

Bomo still has giant largemouth in it 5-8 lbers are caught there every year. You can see some of them if you look up the Vermont Master Angler Program..... If you are fishing from shore give Kent Pond a try. It’s not far from Woodstock and you can walk along the entire dam casting for bass.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mainebass1984 said:

Bomo still has giant largemouth in it 5-8 lbers are caught there every year. You can see some of them if you look up the Vermont Master Angler Program..... If you are fishing from shore give Kent Pond a try. It’s not far from Woodstock and you can walk along the entire dam casting for bass.

I did not mean to imply they don't have large ones, just not the large number of large ones that they used to.

Thanks Boomstick & Mainebass.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply but I am afraid The forum would not let me in due to my profile not being complete.

I am due In Vermont around the 20th so will make sure to have a look and fish at Lake Bomoseen, Lake Dunmore & Lake St. Catherine

Thanks again

Peter