Sign in to follow this  
smokes

My First Boat. A few ?s

Hi All, I just bought my first boat and I have a few Q's for you all. (Sorry for the long post)

First off, my boat is a 88 14ft fiberglass starline aggresor with a merc 60 (also 88). I've takin it out with 2 people and was able to get 33mph GPS. Then by myself I got 34mph. I personally think that I should be getting close to 40mph by myself. I think that I am under prop'd. The boat jumps up on plane pretty good with 2 on it and instantly with 1.

This leads me into my main Q. The boat rides bow down pretty bad. I've placed all the weight I could in back. At speed the water is spraying out about 2/3 of the way up the boat or a few feet ahead of the drivers council. It has trim on it and it is almost impossible to get it to porpise.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Alittle more info: The cavitation plate on the lower unit is just a shade lower than the bottom of the hull. The Prop is a stainless 10in 14 pitch.

My friend tells me to just take it fishin and shut up:) But I think She Has some more speed stored up somewhere.

Any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks

I realize that this is comparing apples to oranges, but I have a 15'9 v-hull with a '88 50 hsp merc. 1 person 27mph. Why do you want it to porpoise?  distribute weight, take off, and when planed out, bump the motor up alittle at a time and watch your plane.  Still a problem?

Yes, I have done all that and she is still bow low when up on plane.

I don't want to porpise. I just added that into the discription for a little more info. I've been out on a few friends boats that ,when up on plane, can trim the bow of the boat up or down very easyily and make it porpise at the drop of a hat. I'm just stuck in bow down no matter how much trim I throw at it.

Also, I did have a dolphin on it, but it was the same.

I have also taken the prop in to a shop to get cupped, (there was 0 cup). This had helped slightly but not much.

All weight is in the back (2 batts, 9 gal fuel tank, batt charger and anything else I can cram back there). There is pretty much 0 storage on this boat so There is nothing up front but my new trolling motor 8-).

When the water is spraying over, does it tend to stay on one side of the boat, or over the entire front deck?  I've seen boats that when pushed to the max water starts spraying over the right front, and I have been told that has to do with the propr running at max torque, causing the boat to yaw slightly to the right which in turn creates drag and causes the spray to come over on  that side.  

I would expect that you might get a bit closer to 40mph if all the stars lined up just right, but I don't know how easily attainable it would be.  

The guy I bought it from said he only took it out one time in the year he owned it.

I picked it up for $1800 with an almost new aluminium trailer, a 60 that runs good, boat is bone dry and still in good shape (Clear coat is faded and it needs new carpet) and everything works. Also just regestered the boat and trailer with 0 hassle.

Call me knit picky, or just a boat owner, but I think she can do better.

And to answer one of the questions, The spray comes out evenly on both sides but it is a 14ft boat so, if it's just me, it is a little off to the right. With my friend who weighs 50pnds more than me in the boat, it is a little off to the left (when he is on the left).

I guess my main concern is the bow down posture the boat has while on plane. Probably just a design flaw, but Im hoping not. I suppose that I could live with it if I had to, but I think there is a fix out there somewhere.

Hope this helps. I'm just looking for suggestions because My boating experience is nada besides riding in one.

Is there a chance your motor is too much hp for the length?  I just checked a couple of boats in the 16ft range that were limited to 50 hp max.  Since I know nothing of the actual formula to calculate max hp that might be part of the issue.  When you aren't running full throttle does it still go bow down on you, or only when you have it wide open?  Good luck!

Once it comes up on plane it is bow low all the way to top speed. Cupping the prop helped a little which leads me to believe that a few more degrees of pitch will help as well.

What do you guys think?

I know I need a tach to see my RPMs and that is on top of my "to do" list. It just seems strange that at full throttle, I am only getting an extra MPH over a good fast cruise speed. Also I only lost 1 MPH with a 220 Lb friend in the boat.

Is there anyway you can raise the motor. If you don't have a water pressure gauge I wouldn't go to much higher, but if you can, I'd go maybe a 1/4" at a time and see what that does. It should help get the bow up and help on speed also. With your cavitation plate being alittle below the pad I'm thinking the motor is too low.

You can do two things. Raise the motor and install a jack plate to move it away from the back of the boat. I do not reccommend it though as it will cost money and the chance it will increase speed is very margininal. Moving the motor 3" off the stern  should help increase bow lift. Just enjoy what you have and go out on the water.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the boat. But I also enjoy tinkering with things if it will make it better.

I did meassure my prop shaft to the pad and it is 8 inches. Top water intake hole to the pad is 3 inches. Lifting the motor up 2 mount holes would bring it up around 2 inches. I am debating a manual jackplate. I figure if I'm going to move the engine up, I might as well install a jackplate and make adjustments that much more easy.