Sign in to follow this  
ksFishin

Poor Motorguide replacement policy

In April 2008 I purchased a new Tracker bass boat. It came with a Motorguide trolling motor. I had the boat on water three times. The first was for break in time on the Mercury gasoline motor. On the third time I began having trouble with the trolling motor. The trolling motor has 5 speeds; I started lossing speeds until I finally only had the highest speed. To make it more of a problem if you ran the trolling motor very long (30-40 sec) on high it would cause the resetable breaker to open. I was on vacation at the time. When I returned home I took the boat back to the dealer. They advised it was up to Motorguide whether the trolling motor is repaired or replaced. I had replaced the 5 speed foot control switch while I was on vacation and it didn't change anything. For that reason it appeared to be in the motor. Being it was a new boat and only used on 3 occasions I felt the trolling motor should be replaced. After talking to Motorguide support I was told they have a 30 day replacement policy and the motor would NOT be replaced. I also found out that Motorguide doesn't repair their trolling motors they send them to dealers that do. I did speak to Tracker boats and the boat dealer in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Neither could or would offer any help. So I don't beleive I will every have another Motorguide product.

>:)

That is one of many concerns I have had over the years with them. I switched to Minn-kota 22 years ago and have never regretted it. Good luck, I hate it when the consumers get hosed by passing the buck between companies. As far as I am concerned your boat dealer should have taken the reins and resolved this issue to your satisfaction. Good luck.

I wouldn't settle for that.  Start chewing on your boat dealer.  That passing back and forth stuff is a way to get rid of you.

I would go after the dealer. If that merc did not work after 3 trips they would fix it, so why not the TM. I on the other hand, had no propblem when one of my Motor guide TM's acted up. they changed it right out, it had a 3 year warranty on it

I had a similar problem after I bought my Champion. My dealer shipped back my trolling motor and loaned me one until mine was repaired....................I would get back to your dealer.............Al

i just got my trolling motor back last week for the same thing. bad commutating cap or something. i also had my tracker about 3 weeks or so before #4 speed crapped out then it all went downhill.

the worst thing about it isit's a known problem. they sold the boat to me and never mentioned it or anything. the parts were on backorder too.

i knew i should have upgraded when i bought the dam boat!