Sign in to follow this  
chaz

push button start

I just bought a 25 hp johnson sea horse with electric start. Could someone tell me how to hook up a push button so i dont have to start it by rope

Piece of cake.

You'll need to run a cable from your battery, to the large terminal on a  starter solenoid like this   one:

http://www.stens.com/dealernet/catalog.html?sType=5&&&&&∂=435036

You'll want a 4 post one, they are available at any local home depot, or lawn mower repair place for under $15. This solenoid will handle the large current for the starter, that a push button can't.

Off the second large post run a cable to your starter.

Now get your self a push button or any MOMENTARY SPST switch. You'll want to run a second smaller wire from your positive battery terminal, or fused switch panel to the  momentary switch. ON the second terminal of this switch run a wire to one of the small terminals on the solenoid.

Off the second small terminal on the solenoid run a wire back to ground on the battery.

Make sure the engine is grounded TO THE BATTERY with a decent size cable.#6 or #4 gauge should be fine. This should also be the size cable you ran from the battery to the solenoid, to the starter.

There you go. When you push the button it sends voltage to the solenoid causing it to close the contacts and send voltage and current to the starter motor.

Let me see if I can find a diagram to better explain this.

Bill

I looked through probably a hundred diagrams and couldn't find one that didn't include a ton a safety switches and other stuff that would just get in the way.  So I drew one.

Hope this helps.

Wiringdiagram.png

Bill

Splat, thank you much and may all the fish go after your bait.

I'll try it.