Sam

Old Ads for Fishing Products

I took my wife to her eye doctor for her annual checkup yesterday and decided to bring three issues of the old Bassmasters Techniques magazines that were given away at the CITGO Bassmaster University programs in the early 2000's.

I scanned two of the three for the years 2002 and 2003 and enjoyed the ads and the pros that were active back then. Here is a short synopsis of who was hawking what back in the year 2002. And yes, some of you guys were little tykes back then.  Us old guys actually remember these guys and the products. Enjoy.

BASSMASTERS TECHNIQUES 2002

On the cover: Kevin VanDam Classic Champion

Flowmaster - The Exhaust Technology Company

Ron Shuffield for Exide Stowaway batteries

Ray Scott with the Triton Boats Bass Masters Classic Limited Edition with the Mercury "1 On the Water" motor.

Dwayne Horton, David Fritts, Chris Baumgardner, Peter Thliveros, Mike Holt, Gerald Swindle, Skeet Reese and Woo Daves for Zoom.

Woo Daves for his Signature Collection of shoes by Georgia Boot

Eagle Claw Pro Series endorsed by Jimmy Reese, Peter Thliveros, Dion Hibdon, George Cochran, Guido Hibdon, Shaw Grigsby and Gen Buchholz.

Plano New for 2002 - Plano Guide Series tackle box with removable 3504 spinnerbait and worm box.

Lowrance X51, X71, LMS-Z40, X91 and one other new futuristic GPS mapping products.

Mark Davis for Bass Cat boats.

Mad Man baits from Mad Man Lures.

KVD for Mustad Hooks along with Woo Daves, Denny Brauer and Tommy Martin.

Zell Roland, Jimmy Houston, Bill Dance for Smithwick Rouge.

G3 Pro 175 boats.

Lucky Craft baits.

New and best colors for Gitzits for 2002. There are 10 new colors introduced. So you young guys, what is a Gitzit????  I still have mine.

Paddle Tail's The Undertaker lures.

Bob Murray for Bomber Model A. Does anyone out there remember Bob Murray? He won two Bassmaster Classics.

Spanky by Lunker City in 15 colors.

Worden's Poe's Competition Cedar crankbaits hawked by the Hibdon father/son team.

Clark Wendlandt and Mark Davis for Falcon rods. Two and three time AOY's plus one Bassmasters Classic winner.

Wood Dave's again for the Lindy Rattlin No-Snagg sinker. You can get the same design today. I have a 1/2 ounce for Carolina rigs.

Terminator Finesse Jigs being introduced.

Woo Daves for Ledgebuster Deep Crankin' Spinnerbaits. "The Ledgebuster Spinnerbait got me to the Classic and helped me win it."

Woo Daves for Jack's Juice bait spray. It is still around.

Davy Hite, 1999 Classic winner for Gambler plastics in bacon flavor.

Daiichi for the "World's Sharpest Hooks" and an order form for free samples.

And on the inside back cover, KVD and Mark Davis for Strike King hawking "The Classic winning Wild Thang" for the 2001 Classic Champ, KVD.

The Bassmaster University was a fantastic event. I got to hear and meet so many pros, some on their way up and others on their way down. I took copious notes and refer to them from time to time. This is the program where Ken Cook told us about the bass' digestion time of a minnow based on water temperature. So many facts and funny stories.

You get Hank Parker and Jimmy Houston together and get ready to laugh. Those guys are fantastic and Hank never referred to his notes during his two one-hour presentations. Never looked at anything other than his rod, reel, bait and the audience. Fantastic guy. Great information on bass fishing. Met him again at the Boy Scout Jamboree in Virginia when I worked the Berkley booth and he is one outstanding ambassador for bass fishing. The stories he told on Houston and Bill Dance were great. We laughed until our sides hurt.

Maybe I will go through the 2003 and 2004 magazines and list their ads if you guys are interested. Let me know.

And be sure to look for your Gitzits! :) 

• Like 3