Sign in to follow this  
mattm

???'s for anyone whos bought a new boat

I've found a several that I like, and I'm ready to start negotiating on several.  I don't want to make a completley unrealistic offer and I don't want to make an offer they say they will take.  I have no idea how much mark-up is typically in a dealers posted price.  From ya'lls experience whats a resonable expectation to buy a boat for that the dealer has listed at 33,000?  I'm talking before TT&L and all that good stuff.  

Thanks

It's kinda hard to know without knowing exactly the make and model of the boat.  It's just like a car, they can charge any manner of price they want.  I'd check out the exact model you want (and options!) on NADA and that will give you an idea of the starting point to bargain on.

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-578-50250&l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

Go to NADA and then visit several used boat web sites to get average prices of the boats you're interested in.  Then add about 5% or so if you're buying from a dealer.

BTW, don't even think about dropping that much coin on any boat without taking it for a test drive first.  If the dealer refuses, walk away.

Make sure that if there is anything on the boat you want changed or added (trolling motor, electronics, boat cover, etc.) that you get it put down in writing. When I bought my new one back in December, I had did alot of research online and had a good idea of what a fair price was. Bought the boat at Linda's Lakeside Marine on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee and they went well above my expectations on trade-in for my old boat and their customer service. To me having a good dealer is worth more than saving a little money by buying it from another dealer.

You seem like you are really struggling with this boat buying venture. Are you sure you want to do this at this time ?

I'm positive I"m ready to buy.  I'm a lot more upbeat about it now.  I get frustrated every now and then with the non-stop research.

I just don't know how much room is in new boat pricing.  I don't go in and pay full price for a truck, but I don't go in and  offer 10 grand for a 30,000 truck either.  For all I know boats are priced almost at rock bottom or have 50% mark-up.  

I think the NADA and add 5% is a good place to start, but the options confuse me.  I don't see options for many things and don't know what others are.

I'm really just wondering how much mark-up is probably in the price so I can make a realistic offer w/out paying 5,000 more than the dealer would of took.  I don't want to be so high that they take my first offer or so low that they are insulted and won't bargain at all.  Or figure out that I'm not that knowlegable about the process.

I appreciate everyones help so far.

Matt

Being I just bought my boat (2006 Z-20) and feel your pain, i do have a few suggestions for your scenerio if you are looking for a used boat. First, dealers utilize the Nada (Marine) edition, Banks do not, they use the Nada guide (www.nadaguide.com) This is where most of the difference in pricing will be, stick with the Nada guide. They also typically use the "high retail price" in the guide. The Nada guide avg retail price should be the highest you pay for a boat at any dealership. Remember they are buying at wholsesale pricing which is 10-20% below low book value, So, use that as a base. In my recent experience i was able to reduce a dealerships asking price on avg. 5k-7k. I ended up buying mine through private party. Most dealerships will run the motor through there diagnostics and complete any upgrades on the engine for you, you shouldn't have to pay for this. I do not see why you wouldn't be able to use this negotiation with a new boat price, except nadaguide may not have the 2008 pricing yet. It is a buyers market right now with gas prices ski rocketing, use it to your advantage. Only thing the dealer can say is No....