Sign in to follow this  
tennwalkinghorse

Jon Boats Pros and Cons

Looking to buy a 12ft. Jon boat. Noticed there are two types welded and riveted. Was wondering what the Pros and Cons were on the two types. Don't really know that much about boats and neither do the salesman not to much help :-?

eventually there will be leaks around the rivets, how soon will depend on how you treat your boat.  Some companies will guarantee the welds for up to 20 years.

I agree the rivet will leak... It only a question of when???

But I had a welded boat when I was younger and my dad told me that he had owned it since he was a boy. So I would prefer a welded jon boat if I ever went back to jon boats. 8-)

Just my 2 cents :)

No need to spend the extra money.  The general principle is welded for work, rivets for fishing.

My partners G3 is 4? 5? yrs old now and never had a rivet leak.  Even when one does leak, it's a 2 minute, permanent fix.  I bought a 14 jon once with 60 something bad rivets.  Repaired them and it was bulletproof.   It's really no big deal.  If you are buying new, it will be a looong time (especially given proper care, we drag ours on rock every time we launch) before you ever have one leak and even then, it's only 1 rivet,...again,...a 2 minute fix.

ps- the fix is...

drill out old rivet.  

clean hole.  

insert 1/2 inch tapered head stainless bolt with 3m adhesive/sealant on threads, into hole

add nut and washer on inside of boat.

Done

Thanks Guys you were more help then you may think.

PS LBH was looking at what you can do with Jon boats and came across the pictures of your project boat man that was sweet. :)