Sign in to follow this  
mjhutch1116

Battery charger question

I have an inboard battery charger on my 2008 nitro Z-7 in the past when making use of the charger red light came on charging green light came on batteries charged end of story. The last 2 times I have tired to charge my batteries after several hours of charging both the red and the green light has been on. My question is this what does both lights being on mean?  The charger was to only piece of equipment that did not have a manual as part of the boat's paperwork.  The boat and all of its parts are still under warranty.  I just need to know if there is a problem that needs attention or if this is standard.  Thank-you all for your help in answering my question.

Matt

It might help a little if you could provide the manufacturer's name and Model No. of the on-board charger.

when the red light is on, it indicates that your batteries are discharged and the charger is recharging them at the "bulk" rate 10 amps (stage 1).   when both the green and red lights are on , the charger is charging at an "absorption" rate of between 3 and 10 amps (stage 2). when the green light is on, the charger is charging at a "float" rate of less than 3 amps (stage 3). your batteries are now 80%-90% charged and ready for use. this "float" charging current will gradually decrease to as low as 0.1 amps over the next few days as the batteries reach 100% charge. they will now be kept at full charge without over-charging. :)

P.S. i have a 99 tracker with a guest chargepro automatic 3 stage 2 output battery charger. hope this helps! ;)

Thank you Bass Tracker for the help.  The charger is a guest 8amp charger.  One more question for you or anyone else that can answer.  If the batteries are drained how long does it take to charge them back up to 100%?

Matt

My manual says my charger can normally recharge two deeply discharged batteries in twelve hours or less. My charger is a 10 amp guest chargepro model 2611. :)

Thanks again for the help Bass Tracker.  That is about how long it took the light finally went green today after just about 12 hours of total charge time.

Matt

Your Welcome! Glad I could help. :)