Sign in to follow this  
warmer

finally PROPPED right!

Over a year ago I sold a gas hog 2000 225 Evinrude Vindicator off the back of my boat and bought a 225 Mercury Optimax from a guy who had it on a 17ft Cajun, Talk about OVERPOWERED.  

It had a 27inch 4 blade junk prop on it, so i tried a million different props before i found a tolerable one in a factory spec'd Mercury Tempest Plus 26 pitch 3 blade.  My hole shot was slow, but i could get my 1999 Stratos up to 68mph at 5850 rpm's so i was happy.  

In the meantime i had bought a backup prop, a tempest 26p 3 blade that i had sent off to a local company to rework.  well, it was horrid on a test run, so my man at the local shop said, "send it off to this guy i know in georgia, he is a mad-scientist with this stuff."  I figured what the heck, ill give him a shot at it.

Meanwhile i grew comfortable w/ my t. plus and didnt bother to test the tempest when it came back.  

Here i am over a year later and my t. plus's hub gets a little sloppy, so i throw the tempest on while i consider getting the t.plus re-hubbed.

After a Fast hole shot and somewhere around 72mph at 5600 rpm's im screaming "this guy is a genius," and calculating gas savings in my head.

Im in love at last, and im sending off my tempest plus to the mad scientist as soon as i remember his name and address.

oh very happy...

the reason i slowed down @72 was because the chime walk threw me for a loop, i havent really felt it in this boat till now.  im thinking if i punched id down id get on the pad and fly, but who needs it w/ $4 gas?

When you get used to everything you should be able to drive through the chine walk.

There is a common misconception that you can "drive through" chine walk. You absolutely cannot! proper motor height and trim + tons of seat time will allow you to manage and control chine. I wish I could type faster I would give you tons of pointers on how to deal with it!

When you get used to everything you should be able to drive through the chine walk.
I would give you tons of pointers on how to deal with it!

type on typer.

ill give you some specs to diagnose it w/

- i have a six inch hydrolic jack plate.  

-my mechanic is trying to get me to invert some wedges on it to get it further back into that "sweet water"

- w/ the factory tempest plus, i could trim it all the way out to were the top of the prop was basically running on the surface of the water w/out cavitating or whatever.  this one gets a little squirrelly if i trim it out that hard in terms of porpoising and chime walk.  im still playing w/ it, cause i ran out of lake to fast where i first ran it, but it seems like when i drop the jack plate lower it runs a little less loose.

anyway, type on typer...

I have a TR-20 w a 6" hydro plate and 225 Opti and here is what I would reccomend for you to try

1. RAISE the jackplate as far as you can without losing water pressure. I have the snorkle intake on the front of the gearcase that lets me raise it all the way without losing pressure, you may too. For some reason raising the plate lessens chine, maybe because there is less of the motor in the water to create drag.

2. Try to drive in a long sweeping right turn. I know you can't always drive right but this helps counteract prop torque.

3. Use very small movements of the steering wheel. When you are idling you really have to turn the wheel to manuever. When you are on plane your movements of the wheel are magnified. If you steering is bled well (I am sure it is) a movement of an inch may be too much to correction.

4. Balance your load as much as you can

Chine is basically your boat wanting to go one way and your prop torque pushing it another. Not to mention water movement. I think when prople say they can drive around chine they are just saying the can "balance" the boats motor torque and hull .

I have alot of experience driving my boat an two other Tritons. One is a tr-20 w a 200 EFI and 6" hydro plate and the other a tr-20 with a 225 Rude ram and fixed plate. We got these boats at the same time and tinkered around with all to find what worked best for them. All were slightly different but what mentioned above was common to all. Warmer if you have any questions PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call.

If Lakeland is close to Orlando I will be comin ther somtime October or definitaly November 11 through ? I would trade you gladly fish some fishin time to help you get the most out of your rig, once you get it, you get it. I can drive all three of the Tritons I spoke of to their limit and they all have slightly different manners. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

hit me up when your headed this way.