Sign in to follow this  
c17Lat

busted trailer light

I'm new to trailering, and as you can see from the photo i busted one of my trailer lights. Is this something I can fix myself? If so, what do I do now?

for reference...

post-4419-130162912034_thumb.jpg

You could pick up a whole new light at walmart. Here is a tip for a new guy, make sure you always unplug your lights when you put the trailer in the water. Oh yea and stop backing into things ;D

You can get a submersible light kit at walmart for about 30 bucks.

Just buy LED's and save yourself a lot of grief and money.

ditto I switched to LED trailer lights from Walmart and never looked back. I also switched to LED side markers. Never have to worry about broken bulbs again. You still have to be careful that you do not back into things.

I went to the store before I saw the LED posts, but thanks everyone. So I got a new light. I'm guessing I just screw in the new light and fuse the two pairs of green and brown lines together? Here are a few pix:

busted one:

post-4419-130162912064_thumb.jpg

Yup, Just match the wire colors. You might want to straighten the bracket before you mount the light. Make sure you mount is correctly. the side marker goes to the outside.

Cool thanks. So I should just cut the wire that's connected to the old light and connect it to the new light. should I use electric tape or butt connectors?

i would use butt splices. Fill them with dielectric grease first or you can buy them with it already in there. make sure you seal them to keep water out.

I changed my light bulb and noticed all dielectric grease was packed on my bulb, so I smeared it off and put it on the contacts of the new bulb.  I also noticed where my wires go in there is no seal.  I don't think submersible means water proof or resistant, so I always unplug my trailer before going into the water.  Beside my trucks fuse, the cold water on a hot bulb can't be good.