Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Problems with a Mercury/Tracker 115hp

I have a 115hp Mercury/Tracker motor on my 1995 Nitro bass boat. I have never had any problems out of it but the other day I was running acroos the river and when I finally slowed down I heard a squeeling noise coming from the motor almost like a timing belt in a car... I took the top off of the motor but couldn't locate any belts. If anyone else could help me fix this problem so I don't get stuck out on the water I would appriciate it!!! :)

say it isn't so!  Sorry to hear about your problem.  I just bought a 2003 Tracker 115 and I pray that it runs as good as it did on the test drive.  Hope it is a cheap fix!

Nitro,

Just curious how the problem with your 115 is going. I have a buddy with a 1995 115 Merc who has described the same symptoms with his motor.

He wants to try and fix it himself, but isn't sure where to start.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Sorry I did not see this back in June when you posted it. I have a 90HP on my tracker and it was doing the same thing. My service guy traced it to a wire on the engine that tells you when your oil level is getting low. Mine would squeal like that when my oil level was half empty, particulaly when I made a long run from one end of the lake to the other. The wire on my engine was brown and blue and was towards the back.

It would be very easy to replace and not expensive at all. To find out if that's what it is, take a small socket with you on the lake and take the small bolt loose that holds the wire to the engine. Be careful not to drop it in the water. :) If that is the problem, the noise will immediatly stop. Hope this helps a little.