Sign in to follow this  
warmer

Help me price my boat!

Boats are cheap now!  Price of gas?  People liquidating leisure items in a down economy?  Who knows?

I was on craigslist yesterday and found a 1999 procraft 20ft w/ a 200 mariner on it for 6k, and a 99 ranger comanche w/ a 200 evinrude for 10k.

yikes.

so i have a '99 stratos w/ a '00 225 merc opti on it.  a 109 thrust motorguide.  2 networked lowrance 527c gps/sonar units, w/ fuel flow, networked temp, etc.  hydrolic jack plate.  runs right at 70. functionally it is in excellent shape.  cosmetically its more of a 6 out of 10.  carpet is worn.  gel coat is not perfect in spots.  a few scratches on the hull.

someone approached me that wants to be a boat sponsor for me for tournaments.  i am supposed to quote them a fair market value to "buy" my boat for me.

i mean, real value, the nada is nowhere close these days to the actual price you could get.  

e.g. the ranger commanche that the guy is selling gets a bogus value at LOW RETAIL on nada of $13,900 and he is starting at 10,000.  If a seller thinks he'll get nada these days he is on the crack pipe.

and without accounting for a newer motor and many extras, mine shows a low retail value of 15,135.  this is clearly unattainable.  

i dont want to short change myself, but i dont want my "boat sponsor" to pay too much for it either.

Nada Guides has a marine edition.  Boat dealers use this.  Banks use nadaguide.com, (not the marine edition) so this is what should be used as baseline.  

Nada will get you a good idea.  If boats in your area are selling for below nada, then adjust yours accordingly.  Here is AZ, boats sell for near the low value.  Go to www.boattrader.com and see what other boats in your area are listed for.

Those boats you saw for that low might be the exception to the norm.

Yeah, the Boat Trader comparison should get you in the ballpark.