Sign in to follow this  
BassChump

Trailer question???

A few days ago while trailering my boat to the lake, I was pulling into a parking lot and I turned a little close to the edge and dropped one of the trailer wheels into a small drainage culvert. :o;) >:( Luckily I was going walking speed but I bounced the trailer and boat about 2 feet in the air. It tore up the fender and flattened the leaf spring. I bought another leaf spring but the new spring has a 9/16 nylon bushing in the eyes and the bolt holes in the frame are only 1/2 inch. Should I try and find the correct bushings, perhaps drill out the bolt holes a little bigger or is it anything to worry about?

Does anyone know what the weight of a 1984 Trophy bass boat weighs??? It's a 16 footer with an 85 horse Force engine. I just want to make sure I bought the right size leaf spring.

Also, I've only purchased one spring and it's an older boat and trailer. Should I get the spring for the other side as well so the suspension is matched????

I had to remove the fender to get the boat home because it was bent into the tire. As it turns out, the spring was so compressed that while on the drive home, the tire rubbed on the gelcoat just a little when I would hit a bump in the road. It rubbed off just a little of the gelcoat down to the fiberglass matt. The area is about 1/2 inch wide and maybe 3 inches long but not deep at all. Maybe 1/32 on an inch.

As I said, it's just an old Trophy bass boat and I just want it to be functional so should I have the fiberglass repaired or is it good the way it is. It doesn't leak and no stress cracks have appeared. Just a little scrape.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

if it was me i would get another spring like the one you bought so it would be the same on both sides, just in case the new spring has a different flex to it then the old ones. i am sure drilling the holes to 9/16 would not hurt anything but be sure you use a grade 8 bolts and not just any type of bolt, you need some that have a high shear rating otherwise they'll break on you. not sure what to tell you about the fiberglass damage, but if it's not leaking or cracking use it but keep an eye on it.

if it was me i would get another spring like the one you bought so it would be the same on both sides, just in case the new spring has a different flex to it then the old ones. i am sure drilling the holes to 9/16 would not hurt anything but be sure you use a grade 8 bolts and not just any type of bolt, you need some that have a high shear rating otherwise they'll break on you. not sure what to tell you about the fiberglass damage, but if it's not leaking or cracking use it but keep an eye on it.

You said it right there!!!

But as for the damage to your boat I wouldn't worry about it since it is such a shallow scratch. If I was you I would put the boat in the water and fish for a while and every now and then check for any water coming in the boat.

Besides this little mishap how has your fishing been going BassChump??

;)

Hey Nitro,

I'm so glad you asked. My fishing adventures have been just that. Adventures. I've been catching some good stuff in every lake I try so far with the exception of one and I'll figure that one out soon I'm sure.

Even the lakes I consistently got skunked on a few months ago are producing for me. I've been having a great time and I couldn't have done it without all the fine people on this forum and I'm very grateful for that.

I took my daughter and a friend out the other day and we did very well. My friend caught a really nice 5 pounder. It was her first bass. Needless to say, she was pretty excited about it.

Honestly, I don't know what I would have done this year without fishing. I've lost another brother suddenly a few weeks ago, a girlfriend that I dearly love, my job went away as well but I have my daughter, I'm healthy and the fishing has been good. What else could a guy ask for.

On the lake with my line in the water is my solitude, where I think, plan and pray. I'd be lost for sure without that and of course all you folks to help me be there.

All in all, it's been good and I'm looking forward to some very positive stuff in the very near future.

Well BassChump just keep your chin up!!! Your a great guy and you have came so far since the last time I have heard from you!!! I'm happy for you and your daughter having such terrific luck out there!!! Keep it up and post some more pictures for us!!!!

Take Care buddy, You are in my prayers! ;)

Yes, the beauty of fishing.

Nature; great people; a challenge; and time to think and reflect.

I sure hope things turn around for you, and soon.  ;)

Hmm, I guess I made that sound worse than I meant it to be.

The job went away but I'm going to start my own business with the help of family so that is a very good thing. It's what I've been doing for 4 years now so I know it's profitable and that I can do it so it's a very good thing. I'm a little tired of making money for others so why not do it for myself.

The girlfriend???? Well, she is a wonderful woman and I'll always love her but hopefully I'll get over it and with a little luck, she'll either be back or I'll find someone compatible and if that's not the case, then I get more fishing time. Again a good thing. lol.

My brother passing away suddenly is not something I can make anything good out of but he lived a very happy life with many wonderful travels, blue skies, warm waters and tropical breezes. I can be thankful for that and I'll miss him dearly.

Mahalo Micheal.     Aloha