Sign in to follow this  
Bass Bro

How to fix a leak?

Thinking about buying a boat off a buddy of mine.Just has a couple minor leaks,its a 14 foot john boat.How would i fix the leaks?and with what?Thanks alot guys ;)

whats that stuff that tha guy sells on tv some kind of putty ;D   just kidding    i used j-b weld  and tryed fiberglass  the water proof kind

It may work if you clean the surfaace real good and then roll on a good coat of it. That stuff hardens up nice and does not let water penetrate it.

Is it a leaking rivet?  If so it's an easy fix. Bed liner can make a boat hot in the summer and will only be hiding the problem and not fixing it.  If it is a rivet try hammering it back into place to tighten it up.  

I also have a jon boat that suffered the same problem. My solution was to use a product called "Tite Grip" duct seal.This is bought from any HVAC supply store for about 15 bucks. Although it's made for ductwork it is superb for our situation,it holds well and stays somewhat plyable,I used it 4 years ago and the boat still has not leaked 8-)

Put the boat on saw horses, add water to inside

get underneath with a yellow crayon and circle the leaers

remove water

Drill out all leaking rivets and replace (from underneath) with a 3/4 in tapered head bolt.  Add some 3m 5200 marine adhesive/sealant to the thread.  

This eliminates the issue instaed of compensating for it.  A 1 time fix, you'll never need to touch it again.

drilling out the leaky rivits is a very good idea, allthough I only had a couple tiny leaks from them I chose this route, much better then the bed liner in every aspect and this stuff iis made for what your looking to do. Call them and ask for Gerry, Your looking for SteelFlex 9X

http://www.fascoepoxies.com/

The boat i'm interested in is made of fiberglass so what do i need to fix the leaks?Has one bad leak whick u can see and two other small ones.Wondering if i should even buy it or not now.Thanks

My Jon boat was leaking so I JB welded the rivets. I put a solid coat of JB weld over the entire rivet. I thought about drilling it out but thought the solid layer of JB weld would last longer and add a small layer of protection.

I don't have a fiber glass boat though. I would assume if the leak isn't bad you should be able to use a fiber glass repair kit to fix the problem.

Has anyone used the truck bed liners on the BOTTOM of a jon boat? Not the floor but bottom of the boat that comes in contact with the water. I'm thinking about doing this for an extra add layer of durability. Bad idea?

Fiberglass- depends on how long its been leaking and how much of a repair is needed. Hydro-pressure can make what looks small quite a mess. Wet glass separates, and disintegrates.

Any hull leak, no matter the material should be repaired from the outside, not inside.

Has anyone used the truck bed liners on the BOTTOM of a jon boat? Not the floor but bottom of the boat that comes in contact with the water. I'm thinking about doing this for an extra add layer of durability. Bad idea?

If you look at the jon boat mods page you will see someone that did just this.  Don't know how they like it but I would imagine that it causes a lot of drag.  Unless you have a big motor you wont notice it too much but if you have a smaller motor it might ruin your ride.  Plus you are really putting the liner to the test with constant water contact plus friction.  If not applied correctly it will peel and peel badly.  I personally would stick with it as it is.

Fiberglass- depends on how long its been leaking and how much of a repair is needed. Hydro-pressure can make what looks small quite a mess. Wet glass separates, and disintegrates.

Any hull leak, no matter the material should be repaired from the outside, not inside.

X2