Sign in to follow this  
Shotgunwilly

HELP! Boat Dies...

I have a 90 Hp Nissan, and I took my boat out this morning. The last time i took it out was 3 or 4 weeks ago. I noticed it was harder to get started this morning than it has been, ever since I've had it. (I'm bringing this up because it may be related to what happened later) It took me a while, but It started and I went to a couple of different spots. Then, as I was running across the lake, the engine sounded like it started cutting out, or losing power, and just died. I checked a few things out, started it again, it seemed fine, put it in gear and started driving across the lake again. After a while, the same thing happened. And then it started doing it sooner and sooner. I got a tow to shore, and my battery was dead from trying to start so much, so I got a jump and it did the same thing when I tried to make it back to the ramp. I thought it may be something to do with the fuel filter or hoses, getting clogged or dirty. Or something happeneing to where it just burns up the gas in the engine, then is not getting more to it??? I need some help and suggestions. I hope it's nothing more or too serious...

sounds like water in the fuel.  you can also run some seafoam or marvels mystery oil with your gas it will clean the carbs.

That might be it... I'm not sure how though. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter is picking up debri or something and getting clogged. Either way, anyone give me suggestions on how to do things... How to get rid of the gas, or clean or replace the fuel filter, etc?...

If the boat in your avatar is the boat in question here let me shed a little light.

This boat could not have a huge tank, take the tank out of the boat clean the tank from any and all debris. Then take the fuel lines off the engine and tank and put new hoses on (if they are old) Then purchase a new fuel filter and put it all back together. Once the tank, lines and filter have all been cleaned add about 2 gallons of fuel and take your boat to the lake and let it idle until you are almost out of gas. This will usually help clean any clogs you may have inside the engine itself.

Once you get home take the fuel filter off again and check it to see what it looks like if it looks bad buy a new one and continue this process (if needed) until it cleans out your motor. I realize this may be an expensive route but I had to do this several years ago when I didn't feel like having a marine tech look at me boat. It took me about $150.00 to solve the problem and if I had taken it to a marina to be fixed they would have charged me $150.00 alone just to look at the boat. So all in all I believe I saved quite a bit of money. :(

May I suggest purchasing some "ears" so you can attach them to the motor and run water to the motor while testing it to make sure it runs, while still at home?

You can pick them up at Wal-Mart or a marine store.

Second, always start your motor at home before you venture out onto the water.  By doing this you know the motor will operate correctly.

I agree with what was previously posted.  Problems with dirty fuel, fuel lines, fuel pump or even the water pump (was motor hot when it quit?) can cause major problems.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.  :(

No, it's not the boat in the avatar. The boat i'm talking about is a 17' Skeeter with a 90 Hp on it. And I have "easrs" to plug onto my boat and run it at home, but the motor started and ran fine for a good while, I wouldn't have known it was going to do this at the house.

If she ran at home and the quit on the water something happened between those times so can you think of anything?

Your fuel should be OK unless it was dirty or had water in it when you put it in the tank. So how long ago did you fill up?

Is the water flowing from the water pump?  If so, then the pump is OK.

I guess it may be time to invest some money and have a professional take a look at it.

You are fortunate to live in Texas where you can fish all year long.  Up here in Virginia, we have to have our motors fogged and ready for winter storage so we have our motors professionally monitored at least once a year.

Please let us know what you find is causing the problem.  :(

As posted in another post, have you checked your motor safety switch cutoff switch?

The one that you attach your lanyard to and then to your PFD or shirt?

Just trying to eliminate one area of concern.  :(

The gas at the pumps has ethanol in it and if the gas sits for anylength of time it can gum up the fuel lines and carbs.  I had a similar problem but I fixes it by putting the stabilizer in my gas when I fill up.  The type I bought also cleans the fuel lines and carbs.  My boat has been fine since I started using it.  Sam good call on the safety cut off switch, I had that happen to me once in the last two years.  

Where is the fuel pump?