Sign in to follow this  
hammer84

Looking at a boat with bad motor

I found a 2004 nitro  with a merc 150 xr6 on it.  The owner says the motor has a scored cylinder.  The boat is priced accordingly and the owner is in a bit of distress.

Is this something you stay away from or is it just a matter of "if the price is right " ?

Most of the cost of a boat motor combo is the motor. You would have to look at the cost of fixing that motor, getting a used motor or buying a new motor. Then you can make a decision.

Ditto to Team_Dougherty. For my Jon boat, the hull was like $500, the motor (Brand new 8 hp 4 stroke) was $1600. So a bad motor is a big deal.

Make a call to some local shops to see what they would charge (ball park) for a fix like that, then check what you could get an equivalent motor for. Add that to your price for the boat and see if it is still a deal.

I found a 2004 nitro with a merc 150 xr6 on it. The owner says the motor has a scored cylinder. The boat is priced accordingly and the owner is in a bit of distress.

Is this something you stay away from or is it just a matter of "if the price is right " ?

The going rate here in Houston is $600.00 a hole to repair the V-6 Mercs. There is nothing wrong with reparing one hole even if you have to put in an oversize piston in that cylinder. Some will tell you the engine must be balanced, but you will be fine doing it. Just make sure the other cylinders are ok. No sense in having to go back in after you have completed the repair.

Most important is to find out why the cylinder scoured to begin with. Check the fuel delivery system to begin with.