Sign in to follow this  
jack1

Running in ice cold water

It's 14 degrees here this morning, but I was probably going to go out and run the boat one more time before I put her in storage.  Is there anything I need to be cautious about when I take her in and out?

Do not put the hammer down right off. You need to let your motor warm up before dropping the hammer. Failing to do so will result in cold seize and be an expensive fix. If you have a temp gauge you need to let your motor get up to 90 or more before getting on plane, and then about 110-115 before dropping the hammer.

No temp gauge you probably need to let the boat idle 5-8 minutes before getting on plane and the 3-5 minutes before dropping the hammer.  Both figures are probably a little long, but I would rather be safe than sorry especially on your last trip on the year.

Don't forget this is everytime you start up the engine not just the first time.  

The one major thing I can think of is; Make sure you motor is properly warmed up before you give it full throttle.

If you have an outboard make sure is it fully down, so the water drains out of it, before you leave it sit in the cold.

14 degrees. brrrr.   Watch out for icebergs.