Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Engine quits when shifted into reverse

Does anyone know why my outboard would die as soon as I shift it into reverse?  The only way I've been able to get it to actually engage the reverse gear without stalling out has been to very, very quickly throw it back to reverse while still maintaing enough rpms in forward to prevent it from quitting.  Maybe an idle speed setting issue?  Carbs?

You need to give more information if you want helpful advice.

Year, HP, Brand, etc

Sorry, I should have given more info. The outboard is a 1991 Merc Black Max XR4 150.  The thing is hard to start anyway, but runs great under power... just wondering if any one had ideas about the reverse gear.  I guess I'm still thinking carbs/timing.

Thanks

It could be bad fuel, or idle adjustment.

Your plugs could need to be replaced. Pull your prop and check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft.

My merc 150 needs alot of gas on start up. Make sure the bulb is primed, turn the key and hold for 5 seconds. Set the neutral throttle to 1/2. Turn/push the key to start. Mine usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd time.

Unless you know what you are doing, it might be wise to have the motor checked out. This little problem could be a signal that your motor is in need of servicing and compression test.

If your carbs are getting gummed up from ethanol mixed fuel,

they could be running lean. Not a good thing on a 2 stroke.