Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Question about boat horn....

Everything on my boats works great for a 1995 Nitro, It is in excellent shape with only minor very small scratches from a dock. But one thing I cannot figure out is why the horn will not work. There is no fuse the runs the horn only wiring. I have taken all the wires apart and cleaned the connections and still the horn wont work. I have tried so many things with it I just don't know what to do next.

Do you think the horn could be bad? I don't have a tester to test if there is curent running through the wires but I have faith that there is.

I hope someone could help me....

If the horn is sufficiently grounded and you're getting 12 volts up to the horn you've got a bad horn.

If you don't have at least a circuit tester, you need to get one.  They're not expensive, available at any auto parts store or Walmart and are easy to use.  Most come with easy to follow directions on usage.

As an electronic technician, you never have faith that a voltage is there.  If you work from that assumption you'll wind up pulling your hair out trying to find the problem.  

Easier and cheaper solution: go to Wal-Mart and pick up an air horn. Louder and will last a long time.

Test It!!!  Run a hot and a ground wire from  battery.  Touch ground and hot wires to proper terminals and if horn don't work replace it.  If it works you have a problem in wiring or horn button.