Sign in to follow this  
Land Surveyor13

Mercury Marine Warranty Gripe

Long story short. My lower end unit blew up from the inside out. Yes while out on the water and 6 miles from the boat ramp. Was not a fun day at all. Anyway got it to the marina. Called in the specs to Mercury. They immediately said it was under warranty and sent out a new part. Marina received the part, installed on my boat and sent me on my merry way. All within 1 week too. I was impressed until a week ago and the marina calls and states that Mercury will not cover the part now that they have had a chance to inspect it. They claim there was water in the oil. Which I am sure there is since it blew a quarter size hole in the side of it. The marina is trying to get them to warranty it. And I have already called my lawyer and they are going to get involved if I don't get satisfaction from Mercury soon. Anyone else have Mercury pull this kind of stunt on them?

Jerrod

post-8350-130162914004_thumb.jpg

No, but you are messing with my calm. I have a 6 month old 8hp 4 stroke mercury OB on my boat. Let us know how it works out.

Before the outing that it blew, when was the last time you had changed your lower unit lube?

November.  And I had just checked it 2 trips before and it looked perfect.  It's not the lube it's Mercury trying to just get money.  I just can't believe they would pull this kind of stunt after OKing the warranty work to begin with.  If I took my truck to FORD for a broken let's say turbo.  They decide on the spot if it is under warranty or not.  They don't fix it and then change their mind at a later date.  It's crap and  don't care if they back down or not.  I personally will never own anything built by Mercury again.  I guess it is Yamaha and Minn Kota from here on out.  It's got me so fired up I am thinking about trading once all of this gets straightened out.