Sign in to follow this  
TNeal

Minnkota Power Drive TM

Two years ago I bought this TM, I was disappointed with the time it took to get up to speed and Saturday in our first tournament of the season, it rectified the problem for me.

I had just got on plane, and a pin in the mount broke, trolling motor hit the water, busted the prop and bent the steel mounting bracket like it was nothing.  Luckily it didn't damage the hull or the deck.  

The pin which is about a half inch in diameter looks like it broke in half.  Has anyone had this problem?  Thanks

I have had mine for 4 years and have put it through the ringer.  I can say I have never had a problem with it getting up to speed.  I went out and checked the pin in mine just to be safe.....no problems at all.  You might actually have a "true" mfg defect.  Might be worth a call to MinnKota to see.

I didn't completely rectify the problem.

For the problem to be fixed completely, the motor would've bounced off the deck and sunk into 40ft of water.  Then you'd be here asking which cable drive TM would be best to replace it with.   ;)

I was up fishing lake Erie, and  had a MK PD go from stow to run postition at 45mph. ripped it right off the boat. greatest day of my fishing/boating life.

Since you brought it up, which one would be the best?

This MK was a 70# and had a hard time moving my 19' boat.  As far as the weed wedge prop, I cleared more weeds from the prop than it cleared from itself.

Thanks

everyone rips on powerdrives but I have had great luck with them. I used an original powerdrive 40 on my Jon boat for 5 years with absolutely no problems. Only complaint was that it was a little difficult to deploy. I bought a powerdrive V2 and that problem is fixed with this model. For a lot of boats the long cord on the powerdrive is the best option

Couple developments since my original post....

1 - I did call Minnkota, they said it couldn't possibly be a defect, it was probably stowed incorrectly...but...if I wanted to take it to a MK service location to have it checked out I could. I took it Central Florida Trolling Motor in Lakeland (863 666 2248) - fabulous folks, checked it out and said it would be covered under warranty.

2 - I've talked to several folks and few have anything good to say about this motor. I finally talked to a guy at BPS and told him about the slow ramp up and that the 70# just didn't cut it (or not like you'd expect it to). He said that motor has plenty of power and that shouldn't be an issue with a 19' boat, said it was probably the way I have the batteries wired. DUH! I've been a hater and it never crossed my mind to think about the way the batteries were connected. I guess this would pose a problem. Good grief

Nothing can fix the stow and deploy issue, but if wiring fixes the power problem and warranty fixes the motor, it certainly beats another $800.

Good follow up.  Nice to hear that you took a little time to investigate.  You are right....better than spending another $800.

I have had my Powerdrive for 5 years and the only time mine deployed on its own was when my fishing partner stowed it.  I am certain that he didn't get it completely latched.

I like my Powerdrive but I am in the minority.

Couple developments since my original post....

1 - I did call Minnkota, they said it couldn't possibly be a defect, it was probably stowed incorrectly...but...if I wanted to take it to a MK service location to have it checked out I could. I took it Central Florida Trolling Motor in Lakeland (863 666 2248) - fabulous folks, checked it out and said it would be covered under warranty.

2 - I've talked to several folks and few have anything good to say about this motor. I finally talked to a guy at BPS and told him about the slow ramp up and that the 70# just didn't cut it (or not like you'd expect it to). He said that motor has plenty of power and that shouldn't be an issue with a 19' boat, said it was probably the way I have the batteries wired. DUH! I've been a hater and it never crossed my mind to think about the way the batteries were connected. I guess this would pose a problem. Good grief

Nothing can fix the stow and deploy issue, but if wiring fixes the power problem and warranty fixes the motor, it certainly beats another $800.

The power drives are a good idea, they've just never advanced the technology beyond what they started with.

It took them years to correct the poor stow and deploy system yet the slow head turning speed still plagues those units.

Lot's of potential that's never gotten refined IMO.