Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

one-ton jigging

I have heard about this somewhere. I guess you get a jig around 1 ounce+, or a hula grub rigged with a giant football head. Then you kind of "walk" it down steep dropoffs, or fish deep, or something.... Anybody hear of this, or better yet, experience it yourself?

When I am fishing some of the old strip mines that is one of the techniques I use. Fish will stage along the drop and they will pick off a spider grub walked down the drop or nail it when you let it fall off and swing to the boat. The larger weight is just for feel in the deep water.

This is something I've been working on the last three winters.  I have had some success with it, catching quality fish in the 19-23 inch range.  Seems to attract the better bite, or none at all.  At least that has been my experience.  Use it on a small local lake, as well as Ky Lake when I can get there.  1/2-1 oz footballs just trying to barely crawl, or glide along the bottom.  GYCB Hula Grubs, rootbeer/green flake.  As was stated, hug the bottom contours and be very aware of your line.

I love fishing jigs. In my experiance, bass hit them on the fall, a lot, so that is why I use more heavy jigs than light. I go for the reaction strike. There is a time and place for light jigs but, day in and day out I use mostly a 1/2oz jig and when I am fishing the holes in the heavy hydrilla mats I use 3/4 to 1oz. When hopping or dragging jigs I use 1/4 to 3/8. This formula has worked for me a long time.