Sign in to follow this  
Ky_Lake_Dude

Shimano Castaic

What is yalls opinion on this reel? I've always like Abu Garcias but was thinking about trying one of these or a Citica once I could scrape together some money

I have 2 of them and have had them since they first came out, well 2nd year actually. They are my favorite reels for pitching and fishing jigs. Once you get used to the thumb-bar you look for it on every reel you own (even though it isn't there). For a 5 bearing reel they are super smooth and apparently built typical Shimano tough. Mine have been hammered on and are still going strong. I absolutely LOVE mine.

However, aside from from pitching duties and fishing jigs, there are better choices. Such as if you intend to burn traps or spinnerbaits or other horizontal presentations. A Curado is much better here, or other low profile options.  I just don't think they are the greatest on the long cast, but on the short or for pitching/flipping I love that thumbar. When I wear mine out I WILL replace them with another Castaic if they are available. Great workhorse reel!!

I'd consider those a flippin/pitchin reel and only if you like the flippin/Instagage feature when you're doing those techniques.  As for regular fishing, you can spend the same money and get a better suited reel.

As for regular fishing, you can spend the same money and get a better suited reel.

Agree, it is not the best Shimano has come with.