Sign in to follow this  
S I G M A

Berkley Fireline Crystal on Baitcasters

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has tried using Fireline Crystal on a baitcaster. I heard it was great for spinning reels but wanted some input before I go spend more money on line that might not be suitable.

I think there are better braids out there.   I have used fireline crystal and my belief is that it does not hold up as well as other braids like suffix,power pro or spider wire.  The only thing it has that the others don't is "white" coloring.

I may be a little bit biased right now as I lost a possible state record musky 4 days ago.   I was using fireline crystal braid.  That is the second time I have lost a fish due to line breakage on crystal.  You will only find it as backing on my reels from now on. :)

I snapped some crystal on a hookset a couple of weeks ago. With spinning tackle. It's not my favorite braid, but at least it doesn't make my fingers black like the original Fireline did....

I like the fireline crystal on my jerkbait set up- cool cause my non-boater didn't even know I was using it because of its color, my bait went a good 3 or 4ft deeper and I got most the bites LOL... with my experience using fireline you need to retie quite often because any fray will weeken it substanially-

I was thinking about using either 20lb test or 14lb test... i mainly fish for bass but thought maybe heavier test would be easier to use since it has such a thin diameter and would be stronger and more abrasion resistant. I read that it was really hard to break fireline also and that it had really good abrasion resistance. But then... i guess i've never used it so i wouldn't know

i heard that fireline cuts guides from a few people... does anyone know if this is true or not?