Sign in to follow this  
Davis

Spare spool and how to change them

Picked up a Pflueger President not long ago. Came with an extra spool.

Going to spool my main spool with Hybrid Ultra soft #6 and the other spool with BPS Fluoro 8lb.

I know you just unscrew the drag on the top the spinning reel to take the spool off......but is there a specific way that it needs to fit back down when I change up my spools based on what I am fishing? Just don't want to screw the drag up on the reel when I change spools. Help I am lost in this area totally. Sure it's not a big deal but I want to know that I'm not going to mess up my new reel. Thanks.

Back off the drag and remove the spool, when you replace the spool, the shaft is squared off so the spool will only go on the right way. Turn the spool till it goes onto the shaft screw on the drag knob and tighten the drag. You can't really do it wrong.

Ronnie

Back off the drag and remove the spool, when you replace the spool, the shaft is squared off so the spool will only go on the right way. Turn the spool till it goes onto the shaft screw on the drag knob and tighten the drag. You can't really do it wrong.

Ronnie

Figured as much but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Here's what I do. First, if you think you might change spools while your out, make sure you have along your hand held fish scale, and rubber bands.

1) Wrap line around spool and tie the end of the line to a rubber band. Secure the rubber band around the spool.

2) Unscrew drag (front drag models).

3) Remove spool.

4) Gently place new spool onto reel working is around until it falls into the same place as the one that came off.

5) Reinstall drag and tighten until there is light resistance as you turn the spool.

6) Feed line around bail and through guides.

7) Secure your fish scale to something, dock post, tree branch, steering wheel of boat, another person, ect...

8) Tie the end of line to fish scale and set your drag.

9) Fish.

You don't have to get so fancy with setting the drag, you can set it by feel, if so desired. Just make sure you set it on the lighter side if you do it by feel. It's easier to tighten the drag a little if you find it light, then to stand there looking at broken line or equipment.

Drag should be set at 25% of line rating for bait casters loading the rod, as if your fighting a fish.

Drag should be set at 15% of line rating for spinning reels, with an inline pull. Don't load the rod, keep the reel and guides inline with the scale.

I set mine by feel, but that's after 30 years of learning.