Sign in to follow this  
ejtaylor822

Bass Pro XPS fluorocarbon

Anyone use/like the BPS XPS fluoro?

I have really been wanting to give this line a try for a while.  I got some last week - 8 lb to put on my lite spinning rig:  Pflueger reel and BPS 6'6" UL.  So far I am a little disappointed.  Seems to have very high memory and no matter what I do, keep getting fly-offs and tangles.  Familiar with matching the winding with how it comes off the spool, checking the windings and flipping the spool, and have rewound it several times - changing directions.  No change.  Sunday, put on a swivel and strechted it out - stretch/rewound several times.  Did better, but after about a dozen casts started getting the tangles and fly-offs.  Keep the windings 1/8" to 1/4" from the lip.

At this point, ready to stick with Berkley Vanish.

Believe this is good line; think that BPS puts out good stuff.  Just curious if anyone else has this experience, or am I the exception?

Thanks,

Eddie

That's what is inherent w/ all flourocarbon line. I learned the hard way like you did, it will fly off the reel & tangles. The flouro is a much stiffer line than regular mono.

How big is your Pflueger reel? If it's a small UL size or under a 1000/1500 size reel, then yes you will have problems. Flouro does not play well on small reel spools. You need to get a bigger reel like a size 2000 or 2500 (or even a size 3000/3500 reel) for starters for the 8# flouro you are using. You'll run into the same problems w/ Vanish.

It's all about spool size.  Smaller spool size w/ 8# flouro will jump off the spool.  You'll need to bump up your spinning reel to a bigger spooled reel.

If you look at Kevin Van Dam's setup w/ a spinning reel & flouro line, you'll see that he is using a much bigger reel. With a smaller spool like on a UL spinning reel, since the flouro is stiffer, it will want to "pop" off the spool. Now if you have a bigger spool the line will stay put better. Also the 6'6" UL rod you are using is too whippy for your 8# flouro, drop down to 4# flouro, this may help.

Also if you are using light lures, like 1/8 oz & under w/ your UL, then there is not enough tension & another cause for the flouro line to fly off the reel. Try using a heavier lures like 1/4 oz & it will minimize this.

Hope this helps, look at some reels that are size 2000 or 2500. Here's a couple ideas- Shimano Stradic/Sahara/Sedona 2500, Daiwa Tierra/Exceler/Regal/Laguna(discontinued) 2000 (these reels are smaller than the Stradic or any Shimano 2500 size).

Your not the exception, just learning the hard way...as I did.

Guest avid

BPS XPS flouro is the only f/C line I use.

Don't put it on my spinning reels though except possibly as a leader.

BPS XPS flouro is the only f/C line I use.

Don't put it on my spinning reels though except possibly as a leader.

Same here....matter of fact i won't put any flouro on a spinning reel unless used as a leader.

Never fill any reel over 1/8 with flouro or you're gonna have problems.

There is one trade off in fishing line that technology has not overcome, and that is line softness versus stretch.  I do like the BPS XPS fluoro...great line.  It does have more memory than Inviz-X or Trilene Fluoro, but a little less stretch.  The Trilene Fluoro is the softest I have used...It's like fishing with Trilene XL.  Give it a go if the XPS is too stiff.

Thanks, all.

I figured the problem was probably me.   :-[  I love the XPS mono, have it on several setups, that's why I didn't think the problem had to be totally with the XPS fluoro.  Expecially when I have seen some of the pros using it.

What is being said makes sense as I have been using 4 lb fluoro (Vanish) on my UL Pflueger 5'-6" setup with no problems - smaller reel with the liter line.  Will put it on one of my larger reels and see how it goes - my guess is it will be fine.

Good comments and and thanks for the feedback.

Eddie

Guest avid

keep in mind that a 4 lb line is much thinner than 8.

If you want to compare lines you MUST use the same diameter.