Sign in to follow this  
fourbizz

Dobyn's Rods.

I don't often decide to eat crow, but here it is.

I spent some time playing with the 8'6" rod and picking gary's brain about some things I never got a straight answer on from anyone else, that put most of my concerns to bed.

I still don't like the feel of the spinning rods, but that is personal I guess.

But let me tell you, that 8'6" Swimbait rod is AMAZING! Had I not just bought another loomis swimbait rod the day before I would have picked one up.

I am becoming less and less enthralled with powell's everyday. I think IMX's and that 8 and a half footer will make up any new rod purchases for awhile.

So on the off chance that anyone is looking for a wicked rod for the big baits, give one a shake.

caw caw caw  ;D  I am glad you got a chance to ask Gary your questions and pick his brain.  He is the most approachable and downright honest person I have ever met.  Just so you know Jay I have no hard feelings toward you even if you don't like the spinning reels.  I personally did not like the looks of them but after fishing with them I was amazed how comfortable that reel seat is to fish with.  I liked the idea of cork under your hand vs a hard cold reel seat.  But cool glad to see you doing your homework and asking your questions.  Takes a big man to eat crow ;).  I've always found salt helps kill the taste ;) LOL.  

Mike

PS I'm in love with that ML 795.  I used to dump fish all the time with another rod I had, but I haven't dumped a fish in over a month with that rod.  

I'm also very satisfied with my 7.95ML. The handle is extremely comfortable and the right length for me. Also the hook keeper is well designed and placed in the right spot to hold the big lures, I don't think I need to be drilling the trigger on this one. I dragged a 3 lbs with 10 lbs of weed and grass thought the pads  and the rod hold its own.

Curious why you are off of the Powell rods?

I love them. I've got five, and the quality and value are great IMHO.

Just curious if you had quality or customer service concerns?

I knew you'd love that rod when it was all said and done. One shake was all it took for me, I assumed you'd feel the same way when you gave it a real shot. I've put a few more in the boat on the 8'6" now and after swinging that 7.35 up the bank last weekend I'm convinced that rod will be my bread and butter for a long time to come!

I still haven't put a reel on my ML 795. I just haven't had time to get out and give it a swing.   :-[

Curious why you are off of the Powell rods?

I love them.

Same here, I just feel like the Powell is a better rod for a heavier lures.!!!!

I guess that I just started comparing the powell's to imx's. I mean the imx are only $50 more than the 7'3-7'11" powells, and there is a huge difference in the way they feel. i like the imx alot more, enough to pay $50 more anyway.

I was so excited about the powell swimbait rod when it came out, i went out and fished two of them and HATED them! That is why I never ended up buying them. They just don't feel right, i don't know what it is, but from the moment i picked them up, i knew i didn't like them.  I cannot imagine a better rod than the loomis swimbait rods and that 8'6" rod.