Sign in to follow this  
Branuss04

Dropshot rod

Alright guys, i'm looking at buying a dropshot rod.  I just want to know from you guys what specs should I look for, length, action, etc.  Thanks.

6' 10" medium light, 4-8lb line extra fast. JMHO

Ronnie

I use a St Croix TB69MLXF I Tried a 7 foot rod and it just felt to long for me to dropshot with.  I just felt like I wasn't in contact with my bait.

Shimano Crucial 6'8" MH XF tip drop shot rod. I was afraid to get a MH after hearing ML-M but this thing is Super Sensitive. I've snaged two fish with this rod, one bream through both lips and a LM in the side.

6'6" - 7', Med-Light, fast tip, rated for 4#-10# test line and 1/8 - 3/8 oz. lure weights. You'll do fine.

As everybody else has said, a 6' 6" - 7' ML fast action rod is probably best for most drop shot applications.

I actually prefer a medium action, mostly because where I am at I'm usually fishing on structure that is wide open to 15-20 mph winds and using a relatively heavier weight.  It also is a little more efficient for fighting the big fish, and in a tournament efficiency is very important.