Sign in to follow this  
Branuss04

Crucial Dropshot Rods (Spinning)

Alright guys I need your help deciding.  I'm going to our ISE tommorrow and I am going to get a new dropshot rod, but I want this rod to be versatile. The main thing I want it for is dropshotting, but I would also like to use it for some trout lakes around here (Not big trout just 1-3#'s) throwing kastmasters, roostertails, etc.  And the last thing that isn't too important is small 1/4oz jigs.  So Should I go with a Medium light fast rated from 1/16 to 1/4 or a medium extra fast rated from 1/4 to 3/8.  Thanks guys

I have the 7'2" MEF.  I use it for everything.  The tip is pretty soft.  It's my second favorite rod next to my Loomis IMX MH.

I would go with the heavier actions.  I have the 6'8" and I bought the MH thinking I could possibly even use it for some shakey head apps but it is way to light IMO to fish the shakey head on.  The tip, even on the MH, is pretty noodle like.  Awesome rod though for a drop shot.  I will be buying the 7'2" later.

Guest avid

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about on the "brand loyalty" thread.

As much as we would like to simplify our lives, the fact of the matter is that power ratings and the corresponding lure weight designations are merely guides.

The variance among different rod makers can be pretty pronounced.

I think the perfect drop shot rod would be a 7 footer with a ML XF designation, but unless you are pretty familiar with the different subtleties in technology and design among the rod builders, your gonna have to put one in your hand,,,,make a judgement and adapt to the rod once out on the water.

I haven't gotten to use it yet, but love the feel of it paired with my tierra 2000.  I can't wait till I get my boat back from the shop so I can go out and use it.  I might just go out to the apartment swimming pool and mess around with it.

I haven't gotten to use it yet, but love the feel of it paired with my tierra 2000. I can't wait till I get my boat back from the shop so I can go out and use it. I might just go out to the apartment swimming pool and mess around with it.

Thats the reel I put on mine too.   ;D

I haven't gotten to use it yet, but love the feel of it paired with my tierra 2000. I can't wait till I get my boat back from the shop so I can go out and use it. I might just go out to the apartment swimming pool and mess around with it.

Thats the reel I put on mine too. ;D

Great minds think alike huh.

I have the 7'2" MEF. I use it for everything. The tip is pretty soft. It's my second favorite rod next to my Loomis IMX MH.

Lol, exactly my situation.  Got the Crucial 7'2 dropshot, use it for trout fishing as well til the bass season comes around.  It's soft enough to cast 1/16 oz lures, which I do frequently with it, but also good for 1/4, which I have used.  Heavier lures should be fine too.  And, also, 2nd favorite behind my IMX, but my IMX is M, not MH.  Great rods, both of them.